This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Red Giselle in Orange County

I can't believe I'm going to say this but.......I loved "Red Giselle"! Can you believe it? This conservative, Catholic, classical, old fashioned grandmother loved "Red Giselle". I can hardly find words. It was classical, modern, sexy, brutal, happy, tragic, and wonderful. There were times when I was grinding my teeth and squirming in my seat because it was so beautiful; gritty stuff. It is being performed tomorrow and I'm sorely tempted to see it again, but the cast tonight was so perfect that I don't want to take the chance of spoiling the effect:

Ballerina: Vera Arbuzova

Teacher: Oleg Markov

Secret Police Agent: Albert Galichanin

Partner: Alexei Turko

I know "Red Giselle" has been reviewed before and I'm now going to go back and read those reviews (which were mixed, as I recall). But I stand by my guns, and I had one terrific time tonight.

Jeez!

Giannina

This moderate, both ballet and modern enthusiast, theater lover, empyt nester with no grand children found Wednesday evenings performance of "Don Juan and Moliere" excruciating. I left at intermission I was so upset. I can count the times I have done that on one hand :)

Although the dancers were lovely and the sets/costumes well done, it could not make up for the emptiness of content and movement vocabulary that seemed robbed from here and there.........

(and this man was commisioned by NYCB?????)

What fascinates me most about Eifman is now different people's views are of him. He really is one that you either LOVE or you HATE. I think only Bejart has been so polarizing.

I haven't seen "Red Giselle" so I'd love to read you two on it -- they will be very different summaries, I'm sure!

socalgal, I pretty much agree with you about "Don Juan and Moliere". The thought of leaving crossed my mind but I was visiting with my subscriber seatmates and that was enjoyable enough to make me stay for the entire ballet. I've now seen 4 Eifman ballets and "Don Juan...." was by far the least enjoyable.

Giannina

Very interesting posts! All I've seen of Eifman is Who's Who - which was mediocre and Musegate - ugh! But Red Giselle sounds fascinating, and I don't know enough about Spessivtzeva to be appalled like I was with Musegate. I hope they bring it back to NY, I missed it the first time it came through