This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Interview with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau turns 80 this month. Martin Kettle interviews him for the Guardian:

To those who grew up with Fischer-Dieskau as a towering icon of the musical world, such neglect seems almost scandalous. At the height of his reputation, from roughly 1950 to 1980, the baritone Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau cast more light on the art of singing than anyone either before or since, and certainly in the era of recorded sound. Not only did he make more recordings of art songs than anyone else - many of the most important ones recorded several times - he also recorded most of his many operatic roles too. He set new standards and influenced every singer of his era as well as a number of composers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/fridayrevie...1487391,00.html

Thanks from me, too, dirac. As the article points out, he was also an opera singer. I loved his recorded Falstaff. I heard him in a live concert only once and it was a great experience. I probably shouldn't admit this, but when I'd hear recordings of baritone lieder on tho radio (in a bygone era) I was never sure if the singer was Fischer-Dieskau or Hermann Prey.

You're very welcome!

That's all too bygone an era, Farrell Fan. And no worries about your Shameful Confusion. I always take comfort from the fact that even the Metropolitian Opera Quiz panels occasionally mix up singers they really shouldn't. :)

I remember when you could go to the store and the lieder recordings seemed to be All Fischer-Dieskau, All the Time.