This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Building strength

Guest 5thAveGirl

Guest 5thAveGirl

This is my first time posting so I hope I get this right :0

I won't be dancing(by that I mean taking classes) for about 1 month (I'm searching for a new dance studio) Anyway, I need some exercises to keep up the strength that I do have and also build up more muscle. Every night I do 25 releves each in 1st, 2nd, and 4th positions. And I do developpes (sp?) in the front, side, and back holding it for 10 seconds. I need more exercises!! So if anyone knows any good ones please tell me!!

Vivian smile.gif

Guest allegra

What you have so far is good... but why not do a WHOLE ballet barre? There are videos that can help you with this; David Howard videos, Finis Jhung videos, etc... You watch them and do the class at the same time. It keeps your exercises on track. If you don't want to invest in them, just challenge yourself to make up ballet barre combinations to do every day or every other day or when you get a chance, etc. Also there is a book "New York City Ballet Workout" which is VERY good with strength and ballet exercises to keep/get in shape and build strength. There are books and videos on Pilates which also does the same thing. Also crunches are good if done every night. Basically do what feels right, and pretend you are having your OWN class; be it ballet, modern, jazz or a stretch class. Hold a class, in your room or a room with space, for yourself.

merde, Allegra

[This message has been edited by allegra (edited July 23, 2000).]

I'd be interested to hear what everyone here thinks of the NYCB Workout book. I looked through it briefly, but decided not to buy it because some of the excersizes looked like no-brainers for people that do ballet ( plies, tendu, etc.) Are these some really challenging excersizes, because then I'd like to buy the book. I also read on the website that they're coming out with a NYCB workout video!

Guest allegra

The book is GREAT. Some of it MAY seem stupid, but it is something to follow, and the repetitions and the style the exercises are presented in makes it all the better. There are 6 sections...

-warm up

-stretch

-abs

-floor barre

-ballet center

-leg workout

All of them can be done together, or some separately. It's nice because of the pictures diagraming exactly how it should look and feel. I HIGHLY recommend it. Also, the first 50 pages or so are quotes from some dancers of NYCB and pictures and an intro by Peter Martins. I think the book is a good investment, and the workout DOES work. All of the exercises together ARE challenging and fun and WORK. Even for an already trained dancer. These are stretches/exercises that the dancers of NYCB do in class, it isn't something to shun off. smile.gif Good luck.

[This message has been edited by allegra (edited July 23, 2000).]

Guest Dancing on Sunshine

I had to quit ballet for the summer, and I have made up a work out thats easy on my hips:

[*]200 crunches (25 legs straight, 25 bent at knees -- in the air --ground bent at knees --right side --ground bent at knees -- left side legs --legs in the air)

[*]my pointe class of releves echapees, piques, pirouettes and combinations.

[*] 8 lb arm weights lifting up and to the side

and a couple of pilates exercises. It might seem a little excessive, but I don't want to be a cow when I go back to ballet. biggrin.gif

A book or a video is good thing to have when on "off-season" because it provides the dancer with a syllabus - that is, a detailed listing of what's to be done when.

I can tell you from bitter experience that many dancers will short themselves on those things they are not the most confident about. If the book or the video seems to be perhaps below your level of technical accomplishment, even brainless, then work for detail! Make sure every tendu is letter-perfect, that the accents on the petits battements are all there and clear, that the relevés are absolutely correct! It's only for a month, after all - why not give it a try?

Guest 5thAveGirl

Thanks to everyone who replied! I do have the NYCB workout book, but theres so many exercises in there that I don't even know which ones to do! And thanks for the welcome Ms. leigh biggrin.gif