This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Heads up, great first timers/family program @ NYCB

When someone was asking about performances to see, I noticed this on NYCB's schedule. It's extremely "family friendly" without being a program an adult would dread.

Saturday, June 18 at 2pm

After the Rain

Fanfare

Tarantella

Carnival of the Animals

After the Rain is a modern piece by Wheeldon - that is a sort of farewell to Jock Soto (he's retiring the following day)

Fanfare by Robbins is an introduction to the Orchestra - and the company.

Tarantella by Balanchine is, well. . .Tarantella. An extroverted and folksy pas de deux with lots of bravura.

Carnival of the Animals is Wheeldon's effort with John Lithgow, and it's wonderful for kids of all ages. A bit of story, a bit of comedy, and John Lithgow as an elephant in drag.

So if you were looking for a program to take your favorite kid or adult to - this one could be it.

I've already gotten tickets to take my four-year old. If anyone else is considering it, you can prepare your child with Lithgow's book of the Carnival of the Animals, which contains his narration of the ballet and nice colorful illustrations (and one picture of the final tableau of the ballet) and a CD with him reading it along with the ballet's music.