This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Curious omission

At last night's dance benefit at City Center (for Facial Reconstruction for Children) members of NYCB danced Ulysses Dove's "Red Angels". Listed in the program were: Boal (yes), Whelan (yes), Evans (yes) & Kowroski (nope). The Kowroski role was danced by Darci Kistler.

No announcement; no notice on a board outside; no slip in the program.

Did they think we wouldn't notice?

I don't know. You can go by the theory that the organizers purposely tried to dupe you. However, I would guess, that because it was a benefit, they didn't want to waste money on inserts. Maybe you have to pay extra for the City Center ushers to put them in and you have to pay to print them. Maybe the organizers, with it being a benefit, figured people would be happy to see the show and go to the dinner or whatever afterwards. Not every place announces cast changes. Maybe Parsons didn't have the support staff he normally would have had if he was performing during his regular season with his company. If this was a regular sort of performance I would question it, but in this case I would be just thankful that you knew who was who.

But wasn't the lack of announcement at least rude to the dancers concerned? It doesn't cost much to put up a sign in the lobby announcing that Kistler would replace Kowroski, or to make a pre-performance announcement.

I think it's kind of insulting to the audience, let alone the dancers, not to have made the pre-performance announcement. Sounds like someone inept was in charge, or that the usual lines of communication were not functioning. David Parsons may have put the program together artistically, but who was responsible for the administrative side?

I just think it's impressive to hear that Kistler was performing "Red Angels" at all. I don't believe she's done it in years, perhaps since its premiere season, an omission that was reportedly the lady's choice. It became Helene Alexopolous's role, didn't it?

Personally, I love "Red Angels" and am sorry I missed the performance! Can anyone who was there give us a quick review?

It was made on Alexopolous, but she could not perform the role the first season because she was pregnant. Kistler performed the premiere and did the role for a bit. When HA came back, it was pretty much her part again.