This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Original names of famous people

Guest nycdog

Guest nycdog

Roberta Sue Ficker, became Suzanne Farrell. This must be the worst name ever a German friend of mine told me that ficker means exactly the same thing in German as in English if you have a u instead an i.

Glenn Gold, became Glenn Gould at age 9 because his father wanted to have a less Jewish sounding name in his business as a furrier. Might this have something to do with Gould's great interest in the Goldberg Variations? (This comes from Dr. Peter Ostwald's, Glenn Gould - The Ecstasy and Tragedy of Genius, Norton, 1997).

Edited by nycdog5734

Lilian Alice Marks (Alicia Markova) and Peggy Hookam (Margot Fonteyn) spring into my mind immediately. My first ballet teacher, Merriem Lanova of the Ballet Russe, was Merriem Crow. It was popular during this era for dancers to change their names to something with a more theatrical flair, often "Russian". Anyone know of any others?...this is fun...

And Tamara Geva was Tamara Gevergeyev, Vera Zorina - Birgitta Hartwig, and in case there's a single soul on these boards who doesn't know it, George Balanchine was born Georgi Melitonovich Balanchivadze, his last name reflecting the region of his birth, Tbilisi, Georgia.

Roberta Sue Ficker, became Suzanne Farrell. This must be the worst name ever

Close, but no cigar, nydog. I think the all time champ in this category is still the movie star Robert Taylor, whose original moniker of Spangler Arlington Brough became the stuff of legend.

Fred Astaire was Frederick Austerlitz, and Ginger Rogers was born Virginia Katherine McMath.

Matthau was already a well-established star by the time of Earthquake. He did that little part (The Drunk) in the movie as a sort of lark, and a favor to Charlton Heston. The name on the birth registry actually appears as Walter Matthow. And Jack Palance has appeared in cameos listed under his real name, Vladimir Palahniuk.

The POB dancer Emmanuel Thibault was born Emmanuel Conjat (he was listed with that name at the POB school).

Zizi Jeanmaire's real first name is "Renée" (actually I don't know why she changed her first name to "Zizi", as its meaning in child speak can be a bit, err, embarrassing).

Christiane Vlassi, Claude Bessy, Fanny Gaida and Carole Arbo (former POB principals) were born respectively Christiane Vlassi, Claude Durand, Caroline Arbonies and Stéphane-Laure Gaida (actually I found the last three ones in an administrative list of people who got the Ordre National du Mérite).