This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New Posters

New posters have gone up, including the picture of Zungre & Riggins from the subscription brochure, and a spiffy one of Millepied in his ZAKOUSKI costume which is beautifully lit and full of movement. The odd one is a photograph of Genevieve LaBean (in soft-focus) and Teresa Reichlin. I stood there trying to figure out who this woman is and finally had to read the credit. It does not look anything like her, in my opinion. She is far more attractive than the picture suggests (so are Zungre & Riggins, for that matter) but the worst aspect of the picture is that she is wearing an ill-fitting blue dress (I cannot think of any ballet that uses this sort of costume) which makes her almost look pregnant. Worse, it covers Reichlin's greatest asset: those gorgeous legs.

Of all the photographs used in recent seasons at NYCB, I liked the ones taken at NYC landmarks: Kyra at the WTC, Boal at the Unisphere, Ansanelli on the steps of some government building, Darci in Central Park, Maria K on a rooftop...were they all from the same photographer...and where is he/she now?

I've seen some neat (Annie Hall word...sorry) pictures of Wendy by David Michalek...maybe he could do a series for NYCB?

The photos of Boal as Apollo at the Unisphere and Kyra in Pavane at the World Trade Center were by Richard Corman, who also had a stunning one of Helene Alexopoulos in her Red Angels costume at Coney Island, and Wendy and Philip Neal in Diamonds in front of the Chrysler Building. I love those photographs. I'm not sure about the others you mention, and I have no idea what happened to Richard Corman.

Yes, FF, Darci doing Swan Lake (in a back-bent attitude) in/on the pond at the south end of Central Park, and Maria in something slinky, black and slit all the way up the thigh on a rooftop. It may have been taken in the same series as the one of Nikolaj in white tights on a rooftop.

My favorite of that series was Peter Boal's Apollo by the Unisphere in Flushing Meadow.

I'll have take a trip to the theater and check out the new ones, but I was disappointed with the photos on the cover of the Spring Subscription brochure. Bland and static. The one of Rachel in a Vienna Waltzes costume that graced the front of winter season's brochure and Playbill was magnificent.

I darted past the theater today, and was also unimpressed by the Labean-Reichlen poster. The photo, in addition to its unflattering image of Tess, is very stereotyped. It looked to me like an illustration for a children's book -- a young children's book -- about ballet. I do not recognize the costumes (below the knee chiffon dresses, one in a blueberry shade and the other a reddish-magenta) either, Oberon. If the point is to draw people into the theater (or even just draw the eye of passersby), they could have done much better.

I think the Reichlin picture is possibly the worst one I've ever seen at NYCB...not least because it makes a beautiful girl with great legs look ordinary.

Over the years, I've loved many of the pictures used but I think if I were trying to lure people into the theatre I would use pictures like the one of Millepied...pictures that say: "We're dancing here!"

I think the Reichlin picture is possibly the worst one I've ever seen at NYCB...not least because it makes a beautiful girl with great legs look ordinary.

Exactly Oberon. If they wanted to use someone in not-so-much-make up just to pose there and look PRETTY, they should've used a Katie Bergstrom or a Saskia. Not just any tall blonde girl.

Love the picture of Millepied, simple yet extraordinary. Now THAT'S what should be representing NYCB. :wub: