This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Victor Castelli

rg

formal obituaries will likely be forthcoming in greater detail, but longtime dancer and recent NYCB balletmaster Victor Castelli died today.

the news came first from NYCB press office and was announced to the audience at the NYCB's tues. eve. performance by Peter Martins, who spoke in front of the house curtain before it rose on MOZARTIANA.

the evening's performance of this work was dedicated to Castelli's memory, in particular because it was on Castelli that Balanchine created the Gigue for the version of MOZARTIANA first shown on opening of the 1981 Tchaikovsky Festival.

That is very sad news. I saw him perform towards the end of his career, but the performances he gave in roles in which I remember him the most -- Candy Cane, Gigue in (Mozartiana), and Theme in Divertimento No. 15 are, for me, the gold standards, and I will never forget them.

Pace, Victor Castelli.

THis is a terrible shock.

Like many people, I know his actual dancing mostly from the "Mozartiana" which is available on video. What vitality and WIT!!!!Thsoe steps he makes so scouring, so incisive, WHAT ENERGY!!!!!

And as Leigh says, he was a very important link in keeping he Robbins rep alive an in shape.

THis is so saddening.

Former NYCB dancer and Ballet Master, Victor Castelli passed away on Tuesday morning, February 8, 2005 of pneumonia, after being diagnosed with cancer last October. He was 52 Years old.

New York City Ballet will dedicate its final performance of "Mozartiana" this season to Victor’s memory, Sunday February 13 at 3:00pm. As many of you know Mr. B created the Gigue on Victor.

Victor was a great dancer and much loved by all who knew him. He will be greatly missed.

The arrangement information provided by Victor’s family is:

VICTOR CASTELLI

There will be a viewing Thursday, February 10, from 4:00 – 8:00 p.m. at

Bizub-Parker Funeral Home

47 Main Street

Little Falls, New Jersey 07424

(973) 256-4700

for driving directions or more information go to: http://obit.bizub.com/obit_display.cgi?id=...listing=Current

The funeral will be on Friday, February 11 at 11:00 a.m.

St. Catherine of Siena

339 Pompton Avenue

Cedar Grove, New Jersey

973-239-7960

In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that contributions to be sent to

NYCB Dancer Emergency Fund

New York City Ballet

20 Lincoln Center

New York NY 10023

Thank you so much for the information regarding the funeral.

The obituary is published in the NY Times today, but I do not know how to do the link.

Correction/editions to the obituary...Victor grew up in Cedar Grove, New Jersey where his mother still resides. His "other ballet teachers" in NJ before SAB (one year) were Fred Danieli and the staff of the School of the Garden State Ballet.