This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Imagining a Ballet

this thread is such a pleasure to read, and I'm mostly embarassed by my contribution - because it isn't half as good as some of the rest - but I've always thought that the first movement of Beethoven's 6th symphony would be so perfect for the opening of a ballet. To me, it sounds like day break on a beautiful morning - (yes, I realize that sounds a bit melodramatic :) lol) every time I hear it I imagine the lights slowly lighting up the stage and a ballet beginning :huh:

Just listened to Gershwin's Piano COncerto in F, and thought it'd be an excellent ballet.  Did some research to see if it had been done - and Jerome Robbins has done a ballet to it, for New York City Ballet.  But I don't recall seeing it on the rep list in the recent few years, nor has it been brought up very much in discussion...what is this ballet like?  Is it considered a "non-major" work?
You're right, Art,  it is rarely performed.

Just got around to reading these posts. And I thought: hey, I've seen that, remembering Darci Kistler (my heroine at the time) and Christopher d'Amboise.

I loved the ballet, but thought the very familiar music overpowered it.

Then I turned to the relevant pages in Deborah Jowett's biography of Robbins. There she mentions:

a) "The public loved "Gershwin."

b) but Arlene Croce did no, and

c) Robbins himself was ambivalent. (Kind of like Wheeldon's apologies for American in Paris???)

What explains the disappearance (or infrequent appearance) of this ballet if the public loved it, it provides great dancing opportunities, and if two of its creators -- Gershwin and Robbins -- are still as powerful cultural icons as ever?

I've had a short ballet in my head for a couple years now, to a harp chaconne by Handel. It is a pas de deux, and the theme will either be Flora and Zephyr or Cupid and Psyche. I have very specific steps set for some sections, but I want to find dancers to teach it to before I forget about it.