This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Who's your favorite dance critic?

Has anyone commented on Acocella's recent article in the New Yorker on Matthew Bourne? It struck me as little more than a high-toned PR job. Not what I get the New Yorker for! (Although, to be fair to JA, John Lahr, the theater critic, writes this kind of profile all of the time).

(Perhaps I should be posting this message somewhere else, since Bourne may not to some be considered a ballet choreographer. If that's the case, please move this thread w/my apologies for blurring the boundaries.)

Acocella always weaves a liine of positive appreciation, even when her subject's aeshetic is not her own. For example, the piece on Fosse (1998), included in Twenty-Eight Artists and Two Saints. It's quite a juggling act, and makes you think more about Fosse's work than you may ever have expected to do. The concluding sentence -- "Still, he was an artist" -- doesn't seem to be a tack-on expression of piety. She's planted the seeds throughout the essay.

Acocella always weaves a line of positive appreciation, even when her subject's aeshetic is not her own. For example, the piece on Fosse (1998), included in Twenty-Eight Artists and Two Saints. It's quite a juggling act, and makes you think more about Fosse's work than you may ever have expected to do. The concluding sentence -- "Still, he was an artist" -- doesn't seem to be a tack-on expression of piety. She's planted the seeds throughout the essay.

Yes, but Fosse in a certain sense is fading from critical view--consider how many major revivals of shows he worked on are mounted/filmed without his choreography (i.e., Chicago, Cabaret). Without having read this article, it seems that we needed in 1998 an article celebrating Fosse--younger people needed to be reminded of who he was, sadly!

Gautier, Gautier, Gautier.
Paul, am I right to assume that that's Theophile, Theophile, Theophile? What do you suggest? In English, preferably, but French okay. I've only read two brief reviews translated and collected in Cohen, Dance as a Theatre Art, but am interested in this period in France generally. Thanks.

Edited to add: I may have answered my own question. Have found Guest's edition of Gautier on Dance on Amazon, but the lowest price is $93.50. :dry: