This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

An evening with Jacques d'Amboise

Subtitled "Lincoln & George, excerpts from my memoirs," it was billed as the first seminar of the NYCB winter season, but the appearance of Jacques d'Amboise at the New York State Theater on Monday evening, November 8, was more than that -- it was a one-man show, or even a piece of performance art. There was no interviewer. Instead Jacques, wearing a body mike, appeared alone on a stage he had decorated himself with a pair of evergreen plants he'd bought earlier in the day. One, which he called George, was festooned with red ribbon. "Balanchine loved red," Jacques said, and never forgave the communists for appropriating it as their color. The other, Lincoln, was draped with golden ribbon. "Lincoln raised the money for us."

He began with a long anecdote about Leslie R. Samuels and Fan Fox, benefactors of NYCB and the State Theater. Jacques and his wife Carrie (Carolyn George) were frequent dinner guests at their huge Fifth Avenue apartment. After Samuels, because of his friendship with Jacques, donated the money for NYCB's production of "Union Jack," Kirstein asked to meet him, so Jacques got him a dinner invitation. But Lincoln had a miserable time and during the evening Jacques lost sight of him. He'd sneaked out early, but had made his escape not into the Samuels's private elevator, but into a closet. Too embarrassed to exit, he stayed there for a good part of the evening.

He talked of his National Dance Institute, which he started in 1976 with $3,000 of his own money, and 20 little boys. Within three years, there were 300 children in the program. He recalled asking Balanchine whom he thought the most talented of his many ballerina/muses over the years. "Allegra," was Mr. B's answer. He said Mr. B let him do anything without complaint -- go to Hollywood to appear in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and "Carousel," dance on Broadway and TV, make guest appearances, whatever. "He's like me, he does what he wants," Mr. B said. But Jacques did not enjoy Hollywood.

Kirstein called him "Buster" and took it for granted he'd take over from Balanchine when the time came. Jacques threw cold water on the idea from the start. As for Robbins, Kirstein was dead-set against ever entrusting NYCB to him, although Jerry had to be mollified by sharing the "Ballet Master in Chief" title. "Peter was the right choice," Jacques assured the audience.

He spoke of the early days of NYCB on tour, and glowingly of Marie-Jeanne, Tanaquil le Clercq, and his own dancing children. Balanchine had wanted Jacques to marry Carrie on the same New Year's Eve that he married Tanny. Instead, they got married on New Year's Day. Still, for years they celebrated their anniversaries jointly. One of the most memorable parts of the evening was when Jacques demonstrated how he'd tinkered with Mr. B's choreography in "Diamonds." For this purpose, he even did a little imitation of Suzanne.

His memoirs are supposed to be at the publisher at the end of this month, but he didn't think he'd have them finished in time. Toward the end, he recalled how he'd phoned Lew Christensen shortly before his death. "I don't have enough time," Christensen told him, "but I loved the way you danced." Jacques choked up recallling this. He told the audience how vulnerable dancers are. He finished by saying, "I was a dancer," and walked offstage.

I hope somebody was taping this.

My wife and I saw Jacques d'Amboise's talk as well and are very glad we did not miss it. He was alternately amusing, informative, humble and very moving. He is 70 now and you get the sense that he has no pretensions at all. With him what you see is what you get. He is particularly proud of what he has done with his work with kids and The National Dance Institute.

I hope it was taped as well and urge everyone to see it if it turns up on the NYCB website.

He talked about his memoir and the fact that he was late. If I heard him properly, he said it was possible that it might not ever get done. I don't think he meant that literally and, if last night was a sample of what is in the book, I look forward to reading it.

I believe that he was looking to get a film made of the story of his life... not a documentary, either... It would be interesting, wouldn't it? But who could possibly play Jacques? He's larger than life and 'of a certain era' that it seems it would be difficult for someone else to play Jacques as well as he does. The stories are wonderful. Could it be that they are all true? He has a wonderful stage sense. I'll definitely run out and buy the book!!!

I believe that he was looking to get a film made of the story of his life... not a documentary, either...  It would be interesting, wouldn't it?  But who could possibly play Jacques?  He's larger than life and 'of a certain era' that it seems it would be difficult for someone else to play Jacques as well as he does.  The stories are wonderful.  Could it be that they are all true?  He has a wonderful stage sense.  I'll definitely run out and buy the book!!!

Jacques does have a wonderful stage sense. I attended a reading he did at a "Selected Shorts" not too long ago. He was great. Many talents in him.