This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

James, if you find one, please let me know :cool: You might be able to find that solo, though, in another way. In the late 1970s there was a Christmas broadcast of Sleeping Beauty with David Wall, and I think it was the same solos. Since this was televised, someone might have it.

Good luck!

James/Alexandra

We've discussed this solo recently I think (or perhaps in was on Ballet.Co). Surely this is the solo danced by Zoltan Solymosi on the recent Royal Ballet video of SB (with Viviana Durante as Aurora)? I seem to remember saying that it was the only time I had liked Solymosi.

Jane, where in the production does he do it? I do have the video (although I don't much like ZS's mugging in the grand pas.)

I also don't remember Ashton getting any choreographic credit....I really dislike Macmillan's messing around with the grand pas choreography....I'll go watch it again if you tell me where to look----

thanks!

Wait! Which solo are we talking about? I assumed (perhaps rashly) that James was referring to an interpolated "modern" solo in Act II. Ashton did choreograph a male solo for Act III for Michael Somes. (Very classical, very simple, very beautiful; it was also in the Danish production). I wasn't aware that Dowell danced this Act III solo, nor that it had been filmed. (Learn that one too, James, if you can find it. :cool: )

James/Juliet/Alexandra:

I've now watched my video of the RB's 'Beauty' (1996?)and the solo I'm referring to takes place in Act II at the end of the hunting scene and just before the 'vision' scene. Prince Florimund is alone and sad and he dances this beautiful slow solo to music that I ought to recognize. Although the credits at the end mention only Petipa choreography with 'additions' by Ashton and MacMillan, the piece looks very Ashtonian to me. It's certainly far more lyrical than any Petipa solo created for a man that I've ever seen.