This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Virtual Ballet Hallowe'en Party

We did this about five years ago and it was fun. Pick a character from a ballet ("character" can be anything from Carabosse to Agon pas de deux couple). If you'd like, describe your costume, including any and all attributes. Change, or improve on the original as you see fit.)

We did do it years ago, and I still want to wear Suzanne Farrell’s gown from “Vienna Waltzes,” although it wouldn’t look nearly so good on moi. After seeing “The Company,” it occurred to me that if you want to show up at the party with a group, about a dozen of you could come as the blue snake.

If this is an adult only party :) I'll go as Zobeida from Scheherazade, with my husband as the Golden Slave

If children attend the party and they need a good Halloween fright, I'll come as one of the corp girls from the first act of Peter Martin's Swan Lake. Those hideously ugly orange and green costumes are enough to send anyone into a fit of shrieking terror.

And Alexandra, might I suggest you come as The High Priestess of Ballet Alert? All of us Ballet Talkers would take turns being a part of your worshipful cortege. You deserve it :)

:shrug: Well if I had the physique of Peter Boal or Damien, the skimpy outfit in Prodigal might be fun, but as it is, I had better go as one of the goonies. The only problem is that I would need to find a partner and those back to back kneeling walking bits would be hell on my poor arthritic knees. :(

A scary one would be the Rothbart costume from the Balanchine one acter.

That huge black cape that he employs as outstretched wings. Love it. Up close it would scare the crap out of the little kiddies. :devil:

I was a statue last time, so this year I think I'l be a bird -- specifically, Bluebird with a properly-feathered tunic, with wings as depicted in one of rg's Russian postcards. If the wings actually work, so much the better. (This assumes that I can trade in the rickety, aging contraption I inhabit for a real dancer's body for the evening.)

She shouldn’t be the only critic present, so I’ll crash the party as the late Pauline Kael, Croce’s New Yorker colleague. We can argue about the relative merits of Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly. I shall arrive with several “Paulettes” in tow, and refuse to see any ballet more than once.