This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

South African Ballet Theatre

Ostrich

South African Ballet Theatre, the company that rose out of the ashes of PACT, has registered remarkable success for their current production of Swan Lake. In fact, a little too much success for my liking - I didn't get any seats!

The South African Ballet Theatre is proud to announce that Dr Leslie B. Dunner, one of America’s most acclaimed ballet conductors, will conduct the Johannesburg Festival Orchestra for SABT’s production of Swan Lake.

SABT is the most successful company on the cultural scene (inc. orchestra and opera) in South Africa and aims to become one of the top ten companies of their size (about 32 dancers) in the world. They are also actively involved in sponsoring and encouraging previously underprivileged children to learn and enjoy the art of ballet.

And sad news for South African fans of Burnise Silvius:

Ms Burnise Silvius. She will be leaving for Canada in two weeks, for a ten-month contract with the National Ballet Of Canada.

She is one of the Company’s Principal Ladies, since the Company’s inception in 2001. She performed leading roles in the company’s productions of Carmen, Giselle, Hamlet, The Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Carmen and solos in SABT’s Collaboration seasons with The Royal Danish Principals and soloists.

She has performed with guest artists Guillam Cote, Thomas Lund and Kenneth Greve. She is a small, precise dancer, always a pleasure to watch, even though she doesn't always show emotional depth in her work. I'm sorry that she is leaving, since she was one of my favourite dancers at SABT. Any Canadians who notice her in future, please report!