This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nice photos

Picked up the Subscription brochure for the Winter Season today...stunning cover photo of Rachel Rutherford (though for a split second I thought it was Bouder!)...and inside, two great pictures of Taylor & Tewsley, one a posed b & w from LA VALSE and the other a wonderfully dramatic freeze-frame from FAUN. Also nice pix of EMERALDS & CHICHESTER PSALMS. A quick glance at the roster indicates no one seems to have left...which is good. And the usual new names among the corps, most of whom we've already seen onstage.

I'm glad you brought this up, Oberon. I had wanted to post on this and completely forgot. Regarding the Rutherford picture on the cover... is that really her? I was honestly shocked when I saw her name credited to the picture! I also thought it was Bouder at first. It appears that the dancer has brown hair in the photo... perhaps it is just the lighting, but I didn't think it really looked like her. Did Rutherford dye her hair? I saw her perform in May and it was still a very light blond.

The Taylor/Tewsley photograph (La Valse) is absolutely stunning. I always enjoy receiving the subscription brochures just for the lovely pictures.

I saw Rachel outside the stage door at the end of June and she was pretty blonde. The photo remains something of a puzzlement to me as the more I look at it, the less it looks like Rachel...it does look somewhat like Bouder...or Maria K. It is a beautiful picture anyway, and I hope it is part of a series which we will see more of later.

Janie Taylor has an amazing face...I can't wait to see her dancing again after she missed most of the season. She seems to have done EROS PIANO at Saratoga which is good news.

tortis: As far as I can tell no names were dropped. Those added were Tyler Angle, Likolani Brown, Maya Collins, Lauren King, Sara Mearns, and Ana Sophia Scheller.

Janie Taylor did indeed dance Eros Piano in Saratoga. I saw her do it twice and thought she did beautifully. In the brochure, I particularly like the Paul Kolnik performance photo of her in Afternoon of a Faun with Robert Tewsley. Tewsley looks a bit like the young Nureyev.

This is completely irrelevant, but Janie Taylor has the most beautiful hair in ballet. In that Afternoon of a Faun picture in the brochure, Tewsley touching Janie's hair looks as if he is parting a billowing, raw silk curtain to peer at the mysteries beyond. Stunning picture!

Since we're discussing hair anyway, I don't feel too trivial in commenting that blonde hair often does photograph brown. My hair is the same color as Rachel Rutherford's, but the camera often turns me into a brunette.

By the way, if no one has left the company, does that mean that Craig Hall is still aboard? And has he gotten any parts outside the corps? I was really impressed with him when NYCB performed at Tivoli last year, but I worry about him being consigned to Albert Evans-style oblivion.

Craig Hall is still on the roster. He always makes a strong impression onstage, even in a large group...aside from being a very good dancer & partner, he is probably the sexiest-looking guy in the corps.

I wouldn't say Albert Evans is in oblivion...he dances his usual roles each season and in the Balanchine 100th season he gave teriffic performances in 4 TEMPS, WESTERN SYMPH, BARBER VIOLIN, IVESIANA, CORTEGE & EPISODES. It is true that he should be given even more opportunities, and could be dazzling in any number of ballets that he is not doing. Now that Jock is leaving, Albert may take on some parts that have been pretty much Jock-exclusives...Albert & Wendy are a great duo. I did see Albert in BUGAKU a few seasons back...he stepped in for Jock on short notice and was amazing...I know Wendy wants to dance this part so lets hope she & Albert get to do it. Albert is also doing some choreography...his HAIKU was really unusual and impressive and deserves revival. And he just did a piece to the music of Matt Fuerst, a very quirky & exciting young composer, which I hope will come to NYCB.

I don't feel too trivial in commenting that blonde hair often does photograph brown.  My hair is the same color as Rachel Rutherford's, but the camera often turns me into a brunette.

No, Kay, the hair here looks really, really dark -- like Merrill Ashley's in her dancing days, or darker. I think it was darkened in the lab/computer to give a focal point to the monochromatic (medium-to-light taupish gray), photo.

It is a wonderful photo, nonetheless. It evokes motion and stillness simultaneously, and I love its witty asymmetry.

I just receive the individual ticket brochure and I must say - WOW! The photograph of Rachel Rutherford on the cover is awesome. The compensation of the lighting, the movement of the grown (I believe it's the costume from Robbins' I'm Old Fashioned), the position of the arms, Rutherford profile (she looks alot like Cate Blanchett from that angle) and the calmness the picture depicts all come together to make a beautiful photo.