This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BALANCHINE'S NEW "MUSE"

I know some maybe thinking "Oh Lord, GeorgeBfan is asking another topic question." But I couldn't help myself. This is my first day of summer vacation (I'm in the educational profession) and I'm presently bore. So with kindness please humor me. :sweating:

But I'm curious, with the exception of Kyra Nichols and Darci Kistler, who among the current principal and soloist ballerinas at NYCB do you believe would inspire Balanchine to create a ballet for her. Explain her quailties. Of course there's the chance that no current ballerina have any quailtites that could inspire him. Explain that too. This could be a stupid topic also. I'm sorry, as I said I'm on vacation, but I won't be traveling away for another two-week, so you maybe hearing from me quite alot. :wink:

I think Jenifer Ringer. I know she's not a "stereotypical" Balanchine ballerina (not that there is that sort of thing). She's also married to another member of the company, and Mr. B would not like that either. (Paul Mejia and Suzanne Farrell, anyone?). But she's so bubbly, girlish, and vulnerable. She has the kind of all-American charm that Mr. B liked. She's enchanting. I love her.

I also think Sofiane Sylve.

In my own mind I'm disqualifying from consideration the biomuses Eifman chose for Balanchine -- Wendy Whelan, Alexandra Ansanelli, and Maria Kowroski. This is too bad, I know, but as my Aunt Vita says, "What are you gonna do?"

Balanchine might be interested in how Sofiane Sylve could be better integrated into his company. He'd see possibilites for creating new ballets for the talents of Ashley Bouder and Rachel Rutherford. And despite his avowed preference for big dancers, he might decide to develop Megan Fairchild into something more that a little girl with a great big smile. This is an interesting topic.

Mr. Balanchine would most definately have known how to develope and showcase Carla Korbes, and not only would Wendy Whelan have inspired him artistically, I think he would have loved her personality and her commitment to his choreography.

What makes this so difficult is that each of Balanchine's great muses was so completely different from the others. There is no type. But I can't believe that he wouldn't have been attracted to Wendy and Alexandra, because each so strongly exemplifies his exhortation to give everything to the moment.