This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

when the kirov returned here w/ the new/old BAYADERE in 2002, makhar vaziev said without hesitation that the new/old kirov/maryinsky 'sleeping beauty' was headed for video/dvd documentation/release, but as this was now 2 years ago it was either too early or too optimistic or just wishful thinking.

regarding the bolshoi's PHAROAH'S DAUGHTER, this was recently filmed, i THINK with Zakharova, and so one suspects the film was done w/ commerical home video/dvd plans in mind, tho' to the best of my knowledge none of these projects is on 'upcoming releases' list.

philips has a strong market in maryinsky/gergiev recordings so it would seem natural that this label would do the maryinsky ballet reconstructions, etc. but as i say, so far no firm information/announcements.

other ballet alert readers might be able to note more details.

i wish i had more substantial news to report.

The Bolshoi's "Pharaoh's Daughter" has indeed been filmed by a French company last October in Moscow, with Svetlana Zakharova, Sergei Filin, and Maria Alexandrova. The ballet was broadcasted on French pay TV Mezzo earlier this year, so it definitely exists. I guess we might expect a commercial DVD release later this year.

As for the Mariinsky, the only thing due for commercail release is the Fokine programme filmed when the company was in Paris in October 2002. BBC and other European channels have been showing parts of it - Diana Vishneva and Andrei Yakovlev in "Firebird", Zakharova and Ruzimatov in "Scheherazade".

Several Mariinsky Opera's conducted by Gergiev are now appearing on DVD (mostly by Philips as Robert mentions): "Ruslan and Ludmilla", "Prince Igor", "Mazeppa", "The Fiery Angel" etc. but unlike the ballet productions the Mariinsky opera's have never been absent from the video catalogue in the last ten years.

As for the new/old Petipa ballets - keep praying. :)