This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 35th Anniversary Gala Booklet

Is anyone familiar with the ABT 35th Anniversary Gala booklet from 1975? (It was part of the Dance Horizons Spotlight Series.) From what I can gather, it consisted of 24 pages (with photos by Louis Peres and Dina Makarova and text by Agnes de Mille and Lucia Chase.) I haven't had any luck finding a used copy on the Web and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.

I know this is not what you're talking about, but the 1974-75 ABT souvenir book is called ABT XXXV (an early example of the Super Bowl influence.) The photos are by Kenn Duncan and the text consists of brief descriptions of the repertory. I dug it out to stroll down memory lane, and the principal dancers were: Mikhail Baryshnikov, Karen Brock, Fernando Bujones, Eleanor D'Antuono, Michael Denard, Carla Fracci, Cynthia Gregory, Jonas Kage, Gelsey Kirkland, Ted Kivitt, Natalia Makarova, Bonnie Mathis, Ivan Nagy, Terry Orr, Marcos Paredes, John Prinz, Martine Van Hamel, Sallie Wilson, Gayle Young.

Also not what you are looking for, but very similar.

My daughter has a copy of the ABT 45th anniversary booklet from 1985. It's a fabulous piece with all the photos in sepia tones. The photos were done by Gilles Larrain.

A friend had it sitting on her bookshelf for about 17 years before giving it to my daughter as a gift so keep searching and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

I found it. It is a 24 page (including covers) black & white booklet with photos of the gala performance taken by Louis Peres & Dina Makarova. It is identified on the inside front cover by International Standard Book Number 0-87127-061-7 and Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 75-9154. Also on the inside front cover is a copy of the poster for Ballet Theatre’s first season in 1940. On the opposite page is a copy of the cover for the 35th Anniversary Gala. In addition to photos from the gala, it also includes transcripts of the evening’s intermission remarks by Agnes de Mille, Lucia Chase and Angier Biddle Duke (representing the Mayor’s office).

This was a very memorable celebration because in addition to the company’s star performers in gala excerpts, many of their illustrious alumni also made appearances. For instance - Fernando Bujones, Buddy Balough & Terry Orr performed an excerpt from Fancy Free, and were joined by Jerome Robbins, John Kriza & Harold Lang (in tuxedos) reprising a bit of their old roles. Same with Ms. de Mille in 3 Devils & a Virgin. Sono Osato and Hugh Laing did a scene from the prologue of Tudor’s Romeo & Juliet, and Ms. Chase, Nora Kaye, Laing & Tudor gave us a glimpse of Pillar of Fire. All that and, oh yea- Cynthia Gregory, Baryshnikov, Bujones, Kirkland, Makarova & Co, too! The booklet brought back a lot of memories! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the details nysusan!

I hope to stumble across a copy at some point. I have seen photos from that gala in other books and it looks like it was quite the event. (I especially like the photo in one of Anton Dolin's books where Makarova and (I think) Ted Kivitt are leading the stars from yesteryear in a curtain call.)