This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring Gala on Live at Lincoln Center

I enjoyed the broadcast very much and I think that the programming was interesting for both this Balanchine afficianado and the general PBS audience.

The general PBS audience who will watch a Live from Lincoln Center broadcast is not as knowledgeable about ballet as the readers of this Ballet Alert board. Showing them a different side of classical ballet than the tiara and tutu image which is more familiar to the general art loving public than the waltz-variation-liebeslieder-vienna-perfume-drenched-Edwardian-fin-de-siecle incarnation emphasized during this programming is very artistically defensible and this also shows them a different side of Balanchine than they may immediately think of. That same consideration justifies the inclusion of the many film clips which we all have seen before, but which the general PBS audience is surely much less familiar with, as well as with those details of Balanchine's personal voice and personal history. For the same reason no problem with the beautiful Ms. Parker with the radiant smile and Mr. Kline whose brief read from Shakespeare was lovely.

And the programming was in fact very interesting. All of those waltzes juxtaposed. I would love to see a full program where Liebeslieder and Vienna Waltzes and Who Cares, for that matter, were all well performed. The way that social dancing is dancing and merges into artistic and dramatic dancing in these settings is quite interesting.

Yes, alternative programs were available to them. They always are. But they make the programs and I thought this a very good one.