This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

MOVIE CASTING SUGGESTIONS

The university at which I have just completed a major in ballet is also the only university in the state to have a dance major program, and therefore, because I am the oldest dance major to ever be accepted and complete the program at this university, I am also the oldest in the history of my state. I'm getting ready to start scripting my story about overcoming a number of obstacles, including having cancer and losing my fiance in the process, to complete the degree with a 4.0, and I would dearly love all suggestions about actors who would be appropriate for such a role. Obviously, I would prefer that they have strong dance backgrounds. And they can't be too young or too old. The character would be in her 40s but look somewhat younger. (I was told while growing up that I resembled a wonderful actress who also dances and played "Cinderella" many years ago, but I haven't seen her in anything for a while).

Suggestions, anyone?

Do you mean Leslie Caron? I think she'd be too old by now. She was in "The Glass Slipper," which is an interesting version of the Cinderella story. There's a fun dance sequence in there involving fouettés on top of an enormous wedding cake and piqué turns around all the layers :blushing:.

Thanks. Actually, she goes by "Lesley-Ann," which is an important detail if I want to approach her for the role. Chronologically, she's about 10 years older than the character, but she is still so youthful looking that I think she could do it well.

Other age appropriate actresses who dance: Jane Seymour, Linda Purl. The latter hasn't been too visible in recent years, but I hear that she's been doing a lot more stage work, including a cabaret act and is supposed to sing quite well, which would be beneficial. She's also an ardent travel adventurer, which also appeals to me. So far, Lesley-Ann seems to have the right emotional quality. I like her femininity and vulnerability, and she has a woman's body. But please keep coming with comments and suggestions.

:shrug: Why are you only considering actresses who can dance? How about dancers who could act? I am not sure how much dancing is required, but Merrill Ashley and Kyra Nichols come to mind. Both have done terrific Carabossa's and Kyra was wonderful as the mean mother in Double Feature. If Barishnikov can act why not some older ballerinas?

Hmmmm, I think Zeta-Jones is only 32, quite a bit younger than the character. And frankly, a little dishy!

I was focusing more on actresses who dance than vice versa, because there is a lot of pathos to convey which is going to require a lot more than good extension. There are traumatic events, such as losing your fiance on the eve of your third cancer surgery -- only to become too sick with grief for the surgery to go forward, and then to be postponed indefinitely because your specialized surgeon needs a medical leave. (All true, and that's only the beginning).

Funny thing -- tonight the movie "Romantic Comedy" was on tv. I played on stage the same role that Janet Eilber plays in the film. Some people might remember her most for her roles in some movies in the 1980s, such as that one and "Hard to Hold" with Rick Springfield. But she was principal dancer for Martha Graham's company, and a good friend of Jacques d'Amboise. working with him in the early days of the National Dance Insitute outreach program for kids in New York. She's also a little older than the character, but a gorgeous woman and dancer.

She's wonderfully talented -- I have tapes of her both skating as a child for Curry and her more recent performances on ice. But I knew she was still rather young when she did an exhibition performance at a natl. competition (Dick Button was crazy about her) not that many years ago at the age of 29, having just re-entered the skating world.

This is going to be tough -- lots of people a bit too young or a bit too old. Shirley Maclaine at the age she did "The Turning Point" would be perfect. I'm a generation too late. :P