This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hi

I have seen the tape you mention. Are you sure is Vassiliev? Isn't it Fadeyechev?

I think the choreographer aimed at creatinc a religious, introspective atmosphere. If so, I think the dancers succeed in achiieving it. But I find the ballet to be rather old fashioned by today's standards. I think that a contemporary choreographer most probably would dress the ballerina differently than in a long tutu. I also dont lke the choreography very much.

Regarding the performances themselves, I find them to be very good- very controlled, with excellent balances in the part of the ballerina. He is an excellent partner, as she appears totally effortless, and he helps her to better achieve fluidity of movements.

Silvy

i can easily see the confusion:

the choregrapher(s) of PRELUDE are vasil'ov (often spelt 'vasiliev' as below) and kasatkina - a russian couple of choreographers.

the dancer opposite plisetskaya in the PRELUDE on tape is, as silvy notes, n.fadeyechev; vladimir vasil'ov (or vasiliev) is the choreographer and not the same vladimir vasiliev who is well known as a bolshoi ballet dance star.

perhaps some of the site's readers who are conversant w/ russian and the cyrillic spelling of these two names could elucidate the two, which are so very similar. if their names were spelled out in full the confusion would be lessened: the famed dancer is Vladimir Victorovich Vasiliev; the choreographer is Vladimir Yudivich Vasiliev.

the n.y.public lib. for the perf. arts lists PRELUDE as follows:

Bach Prelude number 8 / choreography: Vladimir Vasiliev, Natalia Kasatkina ; music, J. S. Bach ; danced by Plisetskaya and Fadeyechev