This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Economic Impact of Dance on New York City

Here are the results of a study on the economic impact of dance in New York City done by Dance/NYC which was released today.

Dance generates more than $400M a year: study

by Miriam Kreinin Souccar

Dance generates more than $400 million a year in economic activity for New York City, according to the first-ever study to look at the art form's local economic impact.

According to a report released today by trade association Dance/NYC, the direct and indirect economic impact of dance in the city totals $415.7 million a year. That includes a total of $135.4 million spent by dance audiences on tickets and other items, such as food, travel, lodging and merchandise.

Another $121 million was spent by dance organizations in the city, with the greatest portion going toward $80 million in salaries. The model used to calculate the total impact included estimates of employment stimulated by the industry and tax impacts.

The 80-page report, which was conducted by AMS Planning & Research, was based on data collected from 41 dance companies and presenters based in New York City, ranging from the New York City Ballet to small companies such as Tap Fusion, as well as audience surveys.

"With more dancers, choreographers, dance companies, performances and audiences than anywhere else in the world, New York City is clearly the dance capital of the world. Yet there has been amazingly little statistical analysis of the resulting economic impact on the city," said Robert Yesselman, executive director of Dance/NYC, in a press conference Tuesday.

Copyright 2004, Crain Communications, Inc

BW, my wife forwarded it to me from work while looking for something else. I'm not sure where she found it. I, rather naively, assumed it would be covered in the press today. It looks like Ari has found the only coverage so far.