This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

pick and choose

We'll be in Canberra, Australia, soon. Happily the Australian Ballet will come there to perform a mixed program in May, but I'm tempted to travel once to see more of them. My frugality won't permit me to travel twice, so I'd like to know which opportunity sounds better to people: "Swan Lake" in Sydney, or a "Mr. B" tribute program in Melbourne.

I'm leaning towards Swan Lake because it's a chance to see something in the Opera House and because I frankly don't know if AB is that exemplary in what they do with Balanchine. You get spoiled here in the US, I think, and I'd hate to be disappointed.

Swan Lake will be Murphy's interpretation, some people loved, others didn't. I don't care for Murphy's work so we did not go to see it. Not sure about the Balanchine I have not seen any of AB's Balanchine programs. But if you can get to Sydney for something at the Opera House I am sure you would enjoy it. The Harbour is beautiful in the evening and you can stand outside, sip champagne and enjoy the view.

the view http://www.travelpictures.co.uk/TP/AUSTRAL...dney/syd21.html

I know this was a long time ago, but I can't help become a smidge defensive when my precious AB's capabilities is brought into question. Here you have the best of what Australia has to offer, many of whom are dancers frequently pilfered by other international companies... You can generally be sure they won't be an affront to the eyes :wink:

In any case, when this was staged it received very good reviews - particularly newly promoted Kirsty Martin in Agon.

minor PM moment - chauffeur - i have spoken to you on another forum! hello! I hope you go to see Southern Lights (which I'm about to start an excited thread about) at the Canberra Theatre while you are here (and I hope you come and visit me at work - I have been questing everyone with an American accent to see if they are you!)

I thought Murphy's Swan Lake was magnificent, but I love Murphy's work. I think it would've been a better choice, simply because it is an australian work performed by australian dancers at one of the most beautiful skylines in australia :)

Hi, Katharyn (how many handles do you have? :) )! I only get to log onto Ballet Alert when I'm at the Belconnen library and it's pretty rare at that. I just posted my very long thoughts on Swan Lake - LOVED it -- and we most definitely have tickets to Southern Lights. In fact my daughter and I were there at the Canberra Ticketing office at 9 am the morning they went on sale. I'm sure the nice folks there thought "what an anal couple of Americans!"

Anyway, was it the Bloch shop in Canberra Centre? We will definitely try to pop by this week!

cheers, no worries, erm and all those other expressions they use here!