This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I know some people are sceptical about this work but I love it. I have never seen the Fonteyn/Nureyev (wasn't born when they were dancing much to my regret!) version but have seen sylvie and nicholas (le riche) at ROH several times (rehearsal and perf which was an honour!) I seem to remember that the F/N version is on a video of Nureyev called 'I am a dancer' (I think it's called that!) could someone possibly put me right on this and also any ideas about where to get hold of a copy-is it still 'in print' as it were?!!

Thank you

besides being included on I AM A DANCER, footage of M&A is included on the final episode of MAGIC OF THE DANCE, differently and more plainly filmed than in I AM A DANCER.

i know that this series/show is not available commercially but someone you know may have off-the-air copies.

i think I AM A DANCER has been re-released lately but i could be wrong.

Thank you for your suggestions! How interesting that it was the first ballet you saw Alexandra! David Leonard at dancebooks.co.uk says that 'I am a dancer' is not in print and amazon says it's not available so......??? I will try the other one though! Meanwhile if any UK people (dare I say it.....) don't want there copy anymore-very unlikely I know or would be happy to lend it to me-I will treat it like gold then I would be very grateful-no-make that very very grateful!

:blink:

There is about 15 minutes of footage from Marguerite & Armand on "Fonteyn & Nureyev: The Perfect Partnership". I watched it again a few nights ago, it is so beautiful. I believe it is still available through Amazon. It also includes footage of them in Les Sylphides, Romeo & Juliet and Le Corsaire Pas de deux

Part of Marguerite & Armand is also included in the video "Nureyev" directed by Patricia Foy in 1991. It is a version that was performed by Nureyev and Fonteyn on stage in 1977. I thought it was quite interesting and different to see this ballet on stage.

By the way, the video I mentioned above is very fascinating, if you can find a copy in your local library, I highly recommended it. :)

"Marguerite and Armand" was the first ballet I saw and I still love it :) You're right -- it is part of the Nureyev video-biography "I Am a Dancer." Try a search on Amazon for it -- I don't know whether this has made it to DVD or not. Others may be able to be more helpful.

As nysusan pointed out, "Marguerite and Armand" was also aired on A & E's "Stage" in 1994 as part of "Fonteyn and Nureyev: The Perfect Partnership" Copies can found on the web at www.cduniverse.com and other web sites. Kultur produced the videotape.

I taped the original six hours of Margot Fonteyn's "Magic of Dance" series when it aired on PBS in the early 1980s and am in the process of transferring the six segments to DVD. The result is a little grainy after all these years but is absolutely worth watching. Besides lots of history and background some dances including "Marguerite and Armand" with Nureyev and the Royal Ballet (a very different staging from the above) and "La Spectre de la Rose" with Baryshnikov are shown full length. I've searched at length on the web to see if the original tapes or DVDs are available of this series and suspect that I may be one of the few people to have it. I would be interested to know if anyone else has been able to find this series.

The Magic of Dance is one of those early series that seems to be caught in limbo since its producers (Time Life video) were munched up and traded and spun off to the point that no one seems to know who owns the rights to any of their library.

I would love to have a clean copy of that series, on tape or DVD. As well as the materials you list, it has some great examples of early dance, including some wonderful footage from the Drottingholm Royal Theater with authentic 19th century stage machinery -- trap doors, wave machine, "dimmers" for candle lights. There's also the finale of a production of Cupid out of his Humor (a Mary Skeaping reconstruction) that includes a real "Deus ex Machina" with Zeus descending to the stage in a "cloud" to put everything right. It's wonderful footage, and was extremely helpful when I was teaching dance history.

Adding my voice to Koskoff -- if anyone knows where these might be available for purchase, please post the information here.

"Marguerite and Armand" was the first ballet I saw and I still love it :shake: You're right -- it is part of the Nureyev video-biography "I Am a Dancer." Try a search on Amazon for it -- I don't know whether this has made it to DVD or not. Others may be able to be more helpful.

As nysusan pointed out, "Marguerite and Armand" was also aired on A & E's "Stage" in 1994 as part of "Fonteyn and Nureyev: The Perfect Partnership" Copies can found on the web at www.cduniverse.com and other web sites. Kultur produced the videotape.

I taped the original six hours of Margot Fonteyn's "Magic of Dance" series when it aired on PBS in the early 1980s and am in the process of transferring the six segments to DVD. The result is a little grainy after all these years but is absolutely worth watching. Besides lots of history and background some dances including "Marguerite and Armand" with Nureyev and the Royal Ballet (a very different staging from the above) and "La Spectre de la Rose" with Baryshnikov are shown full length. I've searched at length on the web to see if the original tapes or DVDs are available of this series and suspect that I may be one of the few people to have it. I would be interested to know if anyone else has been able to find this series.

I am sure there are a good number of people in England where the"Magic of Dance" was first shown who have video copies of this series some of whom will have transferred them to DVd. I still possess two of the editions but have not looked at them for a decade or so. You are right that they were and are now absolutely are worth watching.

I just got a perfect VHS copy of 'I Am a Dancer' from half.com for $8.29 including shipping! They had some other copies, but they then begin at $20 + or did on Tuesday. Go to eBay, anyone still looking for it, and if there are no eBay ones, they'll have the half.com ones there too. That 1991 documentary doesn't have nearly enough of 'Marguerite and Armand', which is why I had to have this one; nothing is omitted. (New Yorkers, there was a copy in NYPL from which I first watched this, but it has been lost or stolen.) You can just key in the title. It is truly wonderful to always have this now. I think it's incredible Ashton knew how to put the Marguerite story into the Liszt. Superlatives for the partnership of Nureyev and Fonteyn are never sufficient, so I can therefore write this miniscule post.