This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alexandra Ansanelli

Guest Tarantella

Guest Tarantella

I wondered what people thought of Alexandra Ansanelli, she was promoted to principal this past year and I think she is such an amazing dancer!! I loved her in Carousel and Tarantella especially. I heard she was amazing in coppelia which is when she was promoted. She is such a beautiful dancer! :hyper:

Guest Tarantella

You know, I was actually going to go to the Riverside Church thing but

I couldn't make it :) Oh well.... It was amazing when I saw her in Carousel and then saw her in The Cage, she could play the different roles so well! :)

Guest hit-5th

Alexandra is such a special person. she is one of the hardest workers i know. She definatley deserves all of the success that comes her way. She really does glow onstage. I love her as well! :yes:

Mementos from Ansanelli's dance career and other personal treasures are destroyed in storage. My heart goes out to her. 

“Everything I had ever kept was in there,” she lamented. “Everything in there was one of a kind.”

Among the priceless items were behind-the-scenes photos of dancers like Mikhail Baryshnikov, hundreds of hours of video and audio recordings, including private footage of Robbins and others.

Very sad for her but also sad for the ballet world. I am reminded of something  Baryshnikov said when he donated his extensive collection of tapes and memorabilia to the NYPL Dance collection: You spend the first half of your life acquiring things and the last half giving it away. Many of us on the site are old enough to be wondering what happens to the "stuff" we've accumulated over the years. For those who have priceless photos, autographs, programs, and other memorabilia, let me post a shameless plug for the Dance Heritage Coalition: http://www.danceheritage.org/

I can understand putting large items like clothing and shoes in storage.  However, for important documents, photos and papers, a bank vault would always seem to be the better choice.  These storage places frequently have issues with water damage, mold and theft. Sorry to hear that she lost all these items.

11 hours ago, sz said:

Sad news, but there are films of Alexandra's dancing I have no doubt in the Lincoln Center Dance Library. 

It sounds from the description like this might have been personal materials that would not necessarily be duplicated by the NYPL collection.