This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

And an incredibly generous artist. He seemed to feel a genuine sense of responsibility to fellow artists and to his audiences. He used his celebrity to showcase younger dancers to whom he played mentor and role model. He also understood that appreciation of dance must be cultivated, and he took many opportunities to instruct his audiences in different aspects of his art. And he never, never failed to acknowledge the courage of the earlier generation of black tap dancers who never gained the recognition they deserved but blazed the path that allowed him to gain popular and commercial success.

A class act all the way! He leaves big shoes to be filled.

Guest amethyst

Yes, what a great loss to the dance world! He was such a natural tapper - made me want to get up and dance too! He was probably my inspiration to take tap classs as an adult. He evidently knew about the cancer for some time but didn't want to worry his family, so he just kept on dancing. What a brave man - he will be fondly remembered and sadly missed by many!

I've definitely been a fan since he and his brother and father were the act, "Hines, Hines And Dad." I've long admired his smooth dancing style, similiar to Astaire's. He was a first-rate actor as well. His movie "White Nights," was memorable to me for both the dancing and the acting. I learned to tap as an adult, partially inspired by him. He will be long remembered and missed.

<< He guested with San Francisco Ballet during the Smuin era, some time in the seventies, if memory serves.>> (software not working for me tonight, excuse the quote formatting)

How interesting! Do you remember what pieces they put him in? (does this belong in Ballet History?)

I am curious and rather dismayed that there has been no appreciation for Gregory Hines in the Washington Post. I had to search the obits page to find anything about his passing and my husband who is admittedly not a dance fan but who liked Gregory Hines alot said he wouldn't have even known he had died if I hadn't told him. The man contributed an awful lot and I really think that he rates more than just an obituary notice.

Well, a television special would take a little time to produce, but Hines was just not that big of a star -- he wouldn't rate the coverage received by the demise of a Hepburn or a Hope, or of Steve McQueen when he died untimely about twenty years ago. It's too bad, but there it is. Baryshnikov should get a big sendoff when he joins the choir invisible, but I can't think of another living dancer who'll get Major Media Notice.

I thought the Post's obit was pretty good, actually. The New York Times had an appreciation by Sally Sommer in addition to the obituary, but the Times' cultural coverage tends to be more intensive.

Well, I find it really obnoxious that they had room to print a story in the Style section about a millionaire who was married to two women at the same time but couldn't find room to write even a small appreciation of Gregory Hines.

The man contributed alot to not only film and tv but to dance too. I know countless boys who took up tap after seeing Gregory Hines in "White Nights" as well as the film "Tap." I'm willing to bet that if Alan Kreigsman wasn't retired from the Post there would have been an appreciation. Sorry if I sound a bit hot under the collar, but for some reason it really got to me. It just seems like such a snub.

I quite understand, and may I suggest you write a tartly worded letter to the editor? It might be worth reminding them that the Style section readers who follow cultural matters as well as or instead of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous need some attention, too. :)