This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

looking at this very strange film of the nutcracker from germany in the 1960s, starring patricia mcbride, edward villella, melissa hayden, harald kreutzberg(!) as Drosselmeyer, i see the name of the dancer (their spelling) as "Nils Keleth" as the Blue Bird (yes that's in there too). Alexandra? RG?

Could that be Niels Kehlet, one of my favorite dancers?? :rolleyes: I'd love to see his Bluebird! (But in The Nutcracker? Was it The Sleeping Beauty bluebird?) Where did you get this tape, Mme. Hermine?

I have the complete 16mm film of this Nutcracker. I will run it and note the credits for you. As I remember, it is a mostly German production using (obviously)very high quality guest artists. If my often failing memory serves...Drosselmeyer takes the Prince and Clara flying in his magic sled through an animated flock of birds, providing a segue to yes: the Bluebird variation.

More later...

indeed this 60 min(?) - or is it 30? - NUTCRACKER has been shown at odd intervals on NY tv.

and yes one of the diverts the anomalous "blue bird" pas d deux, w/ niels kehlet and inge sand(?) - maybe?

i'll have to look and double check.

Ok: I viewed reel #2 on the old projector...what an odd production!

By the way: it's a flying carpet that transports Marie and the Nutcracker to various lands. Some interesting moments, but an especially disappointing pas with Villella and Hayden. Credits:

SUGAR PLUM FAIRY...........................Melissa Hayden

MARIE..............................................Patricia McBride

NUTCRACKER/PRINCE.......................Edward Villella

BLUEBIRDS......................................Helga Heinrich

Nils Keleth

ALSO: Ray Barra, Heidron Schwaartz, Margot Werner, Hannes Winkler, Hugo Delaville, Edith Demharter, Monica Muller

CHOREOGRAPHY..............................Kurt Jacob

BUDAPEST SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA CONDUCTED BY Franz Allers

A production of Bavararia GMBH, Commissioned by Stuttgart SDP

i agree that it's one of the oddest ones i've ever seen. villella looks very good in what he does, but the idea that the sugar plum fairy is his mother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the snow corps costumes are not to be believed! (think vail snow bunnies). i got it years ago from a television broadcast, and i had remembered seeing it on tv when i was much younger. but apart from the dancing of the guests it's pretty awful!