This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The NEW! Barbie "Swan Lake"

FAO Schwartz catalogue came to my office today. Barbie Swan Lake on the cover. Inside there are two pages of related items. One is a "One of a Kind Swan Lake Barbie®" that sells for $8000. Yes you read that correctly-eight thousand dollars.

One of a Kind Swan Lake Barbie®

Price: $8,000.00

Product Number: 826505 

The magic of Swan Lake has been captured with intricate detail in this special porcelain Swan Lake Barbie created exclusively for FAO Schwarz. Sculpted in a classic ballet pose, Barbie doll wears a white silk duchess satin bodice that has been embellished with hand-embroidered, feather-shaped appliqués, silver-lined beads and gold sequin. Layers of white pleated tulle underneath feather-shaped gold tulle create her tutu; the white silk duchess satin skirt has also been hand-embroidered to match the bodice. She dances in white silk toe shoes. Most stunning, however, is the 18K white gold tiara, detailed with diamonds, that sits atop her tight, dark brown bun. Ages 14 and up.

Apparantly the tutu is hand made and yes the tiara is 18K gold with real diamonds.

The catalogue picture is interesting. The doll from the tutu up is an actual photo of the doll, you can see the porcelain, etc, but the legs and feet are airbrushed/painted and do not look like doll legs or feet. The photo of this Barbie is not on the FAO website. If you get a catalogue, you should take a look. It never ceases to amaze me.........

:dry:

.......so...........if a principle dancer in our BD's company comes up to her and says, "You really do look just like Barbie!" was it a compliment :D or....... :dry: something else???????????

She is still wondering :ermm: (the BD just gave this gal a smile and walked away....)

By the way, I still have my original Barbie from 1959, clothes, outfits, accessories et al.... :lol:

:rolleyes: As I was gazing at the Royal Academy of Dancing site I couldn't help but notice a Barbie of Swan Lake competition! No not a dancing competition but a 'writing' one. The winner for the best 'review' recieves a Barbie of Swan Lake doll! Also on the site is a short flash to view. This is sure catching on at the most unlikely places :ermm:

I noticed in the current Better Homes and Gardens magazine that there is a large promotion for Barbie's Swan Lake. If you are the lucky winner of the writing contest entitled "I Want to be a Ballerina" (this is intended for adults who can express "how you loved imagining you were a ballerina as a child) you could win "a 3-day, 2 night trip for three to a US city of your choice to attend a major US ballet company performance and more!" The next two pages tell you how to "spotlight your daughter's charm and star power with a magical Barbie Movie Premiere Party, celebrating the release of Barbie of Swan Lake". Hmmm...that Barbie of Swan Lake dinnerware is tempting!

I saw the first commercial for this tonight -- not of the movie, oh, no. Of all the things you can buy -- a giant pink castle being the biggest, but by no means the only related toy. The commercial's Little Ballerina seemed more interested in the Ken doll, but her little sister liked one of the oh so cute little animals. I could not tell what animal it was supposed to be, but I'm sure it has been focus group tested and approved.

I was in the library with my daughter when she spotted the Barbie of Swan Lake illustrated book and begged me to check it out.

The storyline follows the standard Swan Lake story with a few "improvements".

Odette saves a unicorn from being captured, a fairy queen gives her a magic crystal as thanks, a troll named Erasmus guards the Book of Forest Lore, there's a porcupine and a skunk who dance in the forest with Odette and Prince Daniel, and of course a happy ending. Also, Odile looks, how to say this delicately?...........BUTT UGLY! Looks like Rothbart mated with a hedgehog to produce her.

So after reading this book, I've decided to not purchase this video for my daughter and will purchase the Kirov or Royal Ballet video of Swan Lake for her. :rolleyes:

Sigh.

I know you all won't believe this, but Ballet Barbie videos are not at all the worst of the crop being produced for children under the guise of ballet videos.

By no means. I see far, far worse truncations, adaptations and bastardizations coming out all the time. Enchanted this, Fairytale that, etc. etc.

I couldn't bring myself to watch Barbie Nutcracker but I may have to watch Swan Lake.

I was in FAO Schwartz a weekend or so ago and saw the full panoply of holiday Swan Lake Barbie paraphernalia...... B)

Erasmus the Troll!? All right...now I'm mad! Trashing Swan Lake with Daniels and porcupines was bad enough...but now the greatestest Renaissance scholar has been transmogrified into a gnarly troll?

Irony of ironies: Erasmus' best known work is "In Praise of Folly", a pamphlet mainly directed against the behavior of ruling classes while exposing the irony of mankind's vanities.

D'ya think Mattel had some sort of sick philosopical vengeance on their mind when selecting a suitable moniker for the detestable troll?

Yeah, right...and Dance in America is going to replace Monday Night Football.

Watermill

I can't get over Barbie and her pink table -- priceless.

I'm reminded of a time I was in church one Sunday with my fiance and a few rows in front of us, a male toddler was holding a naked Barbie and literally pulling her legs apart -- like a human wishbone. It was so incongruous that the two of us nearly had to leave the service, we were having such a hard time suppressing our laughter.

During all my years of teaching pre-school dance, we would often do a routine about "putting the babies to bed," and the children were encouraged to bring their favorite doll from home for this. At least one child would arrive with a semi-naked Barbie, and I would snatch the doll away, and exclaim, "I said to bring a baby, not a babe!" It amazed me to see tiny children playing with these kinds of dolls at an age when I was still playing with baby dolls. Parents, wise up on this, please.

For all of you who are interested ( or even morbidly curious ), Nickelodeon will air Barbie of Swan Lake on November 16th noon eastern time. I'm a little suprised they are airing it on TV so soon. I would have thought they would want to milk the video sales as much as they could for Christmas. :shrug:

Very cheeky Hans! :yes: I'll do my best. By the way in response to your previous post, it should be one and a half to two hours long. Might want to tape to that you don't have to sit through the endless commercials for toys, it is Nickelodeon after all. :)

Seems that only Americans have posted about Barbie Swan Lake until now.

Well, dont know if it will be any consolation, but you are not the only ones this :angry: xxxx is inflicted upon.

Picking up my mail today, the usual bills and advertising matter AND a large thing from a toy shop about Barbie. Oh yes, the whole caboodle - unicorn - castle (all pink) - play set - velvet swan -lilac velvet unicorn (2 ft. long) book and tape - video and DVD - Odette and Prince Daniel in something looking more like a space outfit - not to forget the horse and carriage. Prices were horrific to say the least.

What educational value has all this got! :D

I must say I find the whole thing rather pathetic.

I am rather glad that my girls are grown up now. Not that I really think they would have fallen for this as the little one's favorite at the age of about five was "Tzigane" which I had on video. She watched it over and over again...

Australia, well at least Sydney was subjected to Barbie Swan Lake about a month ago. I watched to see what it was like :toot: It was truly forgettable. Don't ask me about the plot :sleeping: (almost) I remember a skunk, a terrible screeching voice :D for Odile (or whatever she was renamed in the program) and the unicorn. A strange mix of characters indeed.

Ah, well..... I suppose it does help to interest some kids in the real thing, to some extent.

that's what I thought, too. Because ballet has had a downlook, like body type and a dying art and not many people doing it, I thought this was a way to bring kids into it, w/ Barbie showing kids that anyone can give it a try.

a movie is a movie, not a model for reality, so of course they're gonna juice it up.

Though, I have seen this one b/c I babysit a 6 & 3 yr. old. It just makes them want to dance more, now.

Anyone seen 12 Dancing Princesses ? This reminds me of 12 Cinderellas, but reversing the story...

I also teach 7 avg. yr olds and I played the Waltz act 1 from Swan Lake but said it was from Sleeping Beauty. To my surprise, they recognized it and swore that it was Swan Lake b/c they had the 'movie.'

....makes me think - no wonder why they always want to act like swans and do swan arms for p.d.b. - they want to pretend they're in the movie!

Thinking that any way to bring the arts back was good, actually has a different side. I guess it's important to expose the real art, rather than to be caught up in too much fantasy.

BTW, LOL to all of the [most-likely] up and coming Barbie Ballet editions/series.

uuuggh, this is really ridiculous, what will happen to the dance world now? :):beg: