This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

All-Purpose Swan-Lake Plot Grid

All Purpose Swan Lake Plot Grid.

Check your choices:

------------------------------

Lives Dies  Other

Odette     |     |     |     |

Siegfried  |     |     |     |

Von R      |     |     |     |

Broken   Unbroken

Spell      |        |        |

Something like this is popular in opera circle. It is "What if" a character did something else.

Boheme What if Rodolfo decided to go along to the Cafe Momus with his friends when they first asked? When Mimi knocked on the door there would be no one home.

Salome What if when Salome says "Ich will deinen Mund kussen, Jochanaan" he answers "Pucker up, baby"? At least there wouldn't be any difficulty with the dance of the seven veils, since there wouldn't be one.

Turandot What if the Prince of Persia gets the answers to Turandot's riddles right? At least we would be spared Michael Bolton trying to sing "Nessum Dorma".

Which is what? What happens? Von Rothbart dies, right?( Or he runs off in reduced circumstances, crouched over, and is no longer allowed to wear a cape--which is what we see.) Odette stays a Swan forever ( right?) even though Von Rothbart's power is broken. So what good is it that his power is broken? They're stuck being swans. (Or were they all swans, and only Odette was suffering from a spell?) Is the happy part that Von Rothbart doesn't bother the swans anymore, propagating daughters (the black swans)? I;m confused. I think "other" stands for "what was that?"

Or, Odette moves to London, gets a job in the City, makes a big pile of money and lives happily ever after in a riverside apartment, seeing whatever sexy men she likes and going to the ballet whenever she wants.

Sorry, Swan Lake is one of my favourite ballets, but I do think she could have been a bit tougher and stood up for herself sometimes.:D