This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

great dancers teaching

Thank God for giving us great ballerinas and dancers who pass along what they know through teaching young dancers!There are those who never care to teach,then there are those like Suzanne Farrell and Edward Villella to just name two.Amen to them!

You must have just seen a fascinating class? I'm just wondering what inspired this post.

For what it's worth, my experience in studying ballet was that dancing and teaching were separate gifts; a lot of great dancers just had no teaching skills, and though I can't think of a good teacher I had who hadn't at least managed to dance professionally, the best of them were not at the top of their field.

It is amazing when someone has both skills, though, isn't it?

I would be curious to hear more, too, PK.

The general rule about stars not always teaching well seems to hold for other fields, too -- e.g., singing and sports. I've seen tapes of master classes with opera stars, for example, whose basic principle of teaching seemed to be, "Do it the way I do -- what's your problem?" Outstanding performers, through no fault of their own, of course, often seem to have difficulty understanding what troubles the struggling or the incompetent. :( All credit to those who make the transition from one field to the other successfully.

I think it also depends on exactly what they're teaching. A star who happened to be a natural turner might not notice that someone's preparation -- to be helpful -- is just a bit off. On the other hand, s/he could possibly be the one to find the key that unlocks a dancer's grasp of a role in a coaching session. And vice versa, of course.

Two qualities that stellar artists who can also teach: curiousity and a sense of humanity (Ms. Farrell and Mr. Villella definitely have both!). I can't speak for the opera, but I sat in on classes conducted by Yo-Yo Ma and he too, brings a joy and focus to his young students.

Cabriole, those are marks of great teachers in any discipline. I am thinking of a college bio prof who would periodically pause in mid-thought to exclaim, "Aren't you fascinated??? Just think, this process is happening a million times right now in your body!!!" I was more than fascinated. I was positively (intellectually) seduced. And, never before particularly interested in science, I was dumbfounded by my own response, I might add.

Cabriole's mention of Yo-Yo Ma reminds me of watching Leonard Bernstein, once called the Village Explainer by Tom Wolfe, conduct one of his classes for kids on television -- he was so intent and enthusiastic, and the kids were all sitting there looking genuinely enthralled.

I do think I felt inspired-as my daughter will soon be dancing with Ms.Farrell,and got to work with E.Villella as well.At our school sometimes Kyra Nichols takes class alongside my daughter,but does not usually teach.I know not everyone has the desire to teach.It's just such a wonderful thing when someone of this caliber has a real need to pass the torch! I have on several occasions gotten up to perform with Bobby McFerrin-what a lesson he has to offer!Another true inspiration in the Arts!

If I remember rightly, Nichols remarked in a recent interview with Ballet Review that she didn't really see herself teaching. It's not for everyone. But she may change her mind, and if she does many students will benefit, I'm sure.

Lucky you, PK. (Me heap big fan Bobby McFerrin). :)

well said, dirac:

"Do it the way I do -- what's your problem?"
i've certainly seen THAT from professional dancers, teaching.

cabriole's post reminded me of a great performer who had both of those qualities (curiosity and humanity) : christopher gable. :mad: