This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Non-dancer visits to dance class

One of the perks SAB offers its donors are class visits. Although I haven't taken advantage of this recently, I especially remember visiting classes taught by Danilova, Stanley Williams, and Suki Schorer. Though I had little technical knowledge of what was going on, it was great fun and exciting to see. Danilova in particular was most welcoming to my wife and me. She introduced us to the young dancers as "your future audience." Stanley Williams was inaudible to us, but the students had no problem following him. I loved watching Suki, and one of these days hope to visit another of her classes.

Does anything similar happen at your school? I'm curious how young dancers feel about having non-dancing strangers sitting in folding chairs, staring at them. Does it bother you at all? Make you want to show off? Or couldn't you care less?

I would guess "couldn't care less". There is a video of Danilova teaching a variation class at SAB and trying heroically to impart some life into the students, who look alternately bored and standoffish. I have the impulse to shake them and say---DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT THIS WOMAN WAS LIKE ON STAGE!!! A bit of respect, please.

I wouldn't read too much into the video with Danilova...People -- young people in particular -- sometimes look 'bored and standoffish' when they are feeling a whole range of other things which they may just be trying to cover up or keep under control. Sometimes students look 'bored and standoffish' because they are intimidated and unsure of themselves.

In my ballet student days I was a bit self-conscious if there were visitors in a class (and usually had no idea if they were dancers/dance teachers/fans etc.) but that may not have been typical. The more gifted, pre-professional students had their own ethos which I was never really party to...at the time, my guess would have been that they only cared if an observer was a dance professional.

I think Drew has a point, and I'd add that the presence of cameras can be very inhibiting and create a great deal of self-consciousness among people who aren't used to them. Maybe we should give the kids the benefit of the doubt. :D

It depends on the school. At SAB, all sorts of people walk in and watch class all the time--other students usually crowd the doorways, and Peter Martins, Kay Mazzo, or Merrill Ashley may at any moment walk in to watch, not to mention various donors the students don't know by sight. Also, in the higher levels, just about anyone from the company can walk in and take class. You could be doing barre next to Baryshnikov, Darci Kistler, corps members, apprentices, soloists--there are a lot of distractions.

UBA has observation windows, but the school is much more secluded, so visitors are not as likely. The most usual ones are Mme. V. checking on students' progress or coming to discuss something (in Russian of course!) with a teacher, or sometimes the commuters' parents watch through the windows, especially on Saturdays. Every now and then a famous alumnus like Rasta Thomas or Adrienne Canterna will take class or visit, and students often watch classes and rehearsals during their time off or between classes.

I'm curious how young dancers feel about having non-dancing strangers sitting in folding chairs, staring at them. Does it bother you at all? Make you want to show off? Or couldn't you care less?
speaking as a teacher, i will say that some students DO show off for ANY observers, some only show off for recogniseable dance-people observing - and some are inhibited or quite thrown off by any class observers (especially their own parents).

Boston Ballet School is generally closed to observers, except for the biannual "peek week."

If you contribute generously to Boston Ballet (I think the number is over $10K), you are permitted to watch a working rehearsal.

THAT is something I would really like to do.

fendrock - in order to attend a rehearsal you have to give $10,000?!?!?! Wow! Maybe they ought to rethink their fundraising fee schedules!

For me, in the past, one of the perks of giving really very little money to NYCB was to be able to bring my daughter to watch a ballet class and a rehearsal. Believe me, it was not much money at all... Sorry for the aside, now I'm getting into marketing techniques. :)

Of course, how would we all look on an average day, being observed as we were going about our daily business?

To BW -- the donation required to watch a dress rehearsal is substantially less (although still more than $100), the large donation is required to actually watch a working rehearsal in the studio.

Both P.O.B. classes and POB school classes are closed to visitors. The pupils of the school are demonstrating some classes on the Garnier stage two times per year, and you have to pay about $20 to watch them.

The Conservatoire National Superieur de Musique et de danse de Paris (France's best school after the POB in the hierarchy of schools) has some "open days" a week end per yeayr and there you can watch students taking their classes in the studios, (not on stage as at the POB school), and it's free !

My studio also has an open house where family and friends can come watch. I mostly enjoy it because class can get so routine, and sometimes you can forget that even tendu excersizes should be danced not just done. It's nice to have an audience as a reminder of the dancer's purpose to perform.

As a teacher, I like it when the parents visit (well, usually) so they can see for themselves how their child is doing. Most parents think that their child is a future prima ballerina and the rest of the class is holding them back, which is almost always not true! (Funnily, the parents of the most talented kids often don't realize how much potential they have!). Plus, the young dancers always try their best on these days, and are on their best behaviour!

The NBoC invited subscribers to watch company class on-stage, and it is free of charge. Most of the principals and soloists seem oblivious to the presence of an audience, but many of the corps dancers take the opportunity to show off their stuff.

Earlier this year my wife and I attended a class at SAB taught by Suki Schorer. It was Advanced Toe (Pointe?). We enjoyed it immensely. She is a superb teacher. One thing we liked about her was that she corrected them in a way that was not demeaning or too critical. All the visitors were absolutely quiet during the whole class. There was little interaction with Suki and none with the students.

I told my wife that the students probably didn't like visitors. I said "How would you like to be fifteen having adults staring at you while you were working at the most important thing in your life?" Not a problem. I was struck by how focused those kids were in what they were doing. They basically ignored the visitors and concentrated on what they needed to do. All around it was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had and look forward to doing it again.

At my school there are visitors watching class quite often. I don't necessarily mind this but it can be a bit distracting. A lot of times we aren't told who they are so we are wondering if they are directors, choreographers, photograghers, visiting teachers or just observers. It sometimes makes me nervous but I try to continue class as usual. I hope I never appear bored to the viewers!!!!

Our school has various levels of visitors...very often! Of course we have the occasional visiting parent or families who must receive permission from the teacher to observe in advance. We also have visting community groups who pay a nominal fee to observe. It is well done by our Director and Staff who give a lecture prior to the class and accompany the guests into the studio. Sometimes these lectures can take place 3 times a month. The guests are always different in that their reactions are varied. We have the ones who are filled with emotion and do not want it to end, clapping all the time and then they want to stay and ask questions about the class. There are also those who watch and listen pleasantly but show little obvious emotion. The students of course enjoy the ones who show more enjoyment. In the end they do help with community awareness, ticket sales and donations. I must say it did take some getting used to and it is always best when the group does follow common ballet classroom etiquette such as most ballet people know but is not common knowledge to the general public. Gee...maybe that could be a thread in itself! ;)

We often have visiting ballet professionals from the community or otherwise. Particularly during the audition months. Perspective students and their families are often coming through as well! Basically our studios are open as long as the correct permission is given to attend the class! I particularly enjoy when visiting professionals observe. Sometimes we all can get so isolated. It is great to talk shop and share our experiences!:)

Guest rachael

I once attended a summer intensive (New York State Summer School of the Arts) that held classes in the dance museum in Saratoga Springs. The studios there are part of the museum, with big windows allowing visitors to watch class and even those little earphone things so that visitors could hear what was going on. To be honest, it really didn't affect me that much - I was too busy trying to do my best in front of the faculty (New York City Ballet dancers, many of whom I'd idolized for years) to worry about anyone watching through the windows!

I don't find it bothers me. At the SI I attended very important people watched the class (many who I dreamed of meeting/seeing) and for some reason I found it great inspiration - I didn't feel the need to show off, just thought about working my hardest!

Rachel