This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

This is dreadful news. I never saw Wall dance live but I always liked him in clips and he was a great interview. He was part of a great age for British ballet. What a loss, and untimely too. RIP. Thank you for posting, Alymer.

Saw him many times in New York with the Royal Ballet. Wonderful dancer and artist, very honest, tremendous audience appeal. He never achieved the gigantic success of a Nureyev, but he was undeniably a major star at the Royal and contributed so much to the company's success. He was genuine and true. Sad news, indeed.

It was posted in the LInks on Wednesday, along with a number of obits and appreciations.

Another nice trove of pictures of Wall can be found in the Keith Money book "The Royal Ballet Today." The main company was away so Money focused more than usual on the farm team, particularly on Wall, often seen with his regular partner Doreen Wells. I think he's on the cover, too. There's also a striking sketch by Money of Wall in "The Two Pigeons."

This news is so sad, David was a very dear friend of mine when I worked with the Royal Ballet, he was a really lovely guy. My heart goes out to Alfreda and his children and grand children. He would sit in my parents lounge eating bacon sarnies with other friends in the company, when we returned back off tour. It is so hard to believe he has gone. I watched a dvd of Manon on 18th June, without realsising why I felt extra sad, it has that effect on me. As soon as I heard it made it all the more poinient.

By the way reference Keith Money's book "The Royal Ballet Today" there is a picture I am in, featuring the wardrobe room, back to the camera, sitting round a high table with the other girls. It was taken before I finished my apprenticeship and moved to the Touring Company.