This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

When I think of this, I think of the very young Sizova, as she F-L-I-E-S across the stage in Corsaire and lands gracefully, head, arms and back beautifully positioned, smilling as if she just thought of this and tried it for the very first time. :wallbash:

It makes me and my friends smile every time. It also makes me want to see as much of Sizova as I can.

What part did you like best Richard?

I wrote a rather lengthy Amazon review here, but briefly, the highlights were:

1. Galina Ulanova's White Swan pdd. My times have changed in terms of technique, but Ulanova's purity and beauty of movement remain timeless.

2. Ninel Kurgapkina. Nowadays I doubt if she could become a famous ballerina -- her body shape is so different from modern ballerinas (large head, long torso, rather short legs) but she has an effervescent, joyful ways of dancing that is a joy to watch.

3. Alla Sizova and Rudolf Nureyev in their graduation performance. Makes me understand why neither spent any times in the corps before being named soloists.

4. Irina Kolpakova's Raymonda pdd. What a beautiful, pure style.

5. Alla Osipenko. Have heard of her, and seen her in Makarova Returns, where she comes across as compassionate, intelligent, and eloquent. Knew that she was one of the few dancers to defend Nureyev in his in-absentia "trial." But had never seen her dance before. She seems much more like the modern ballerina -- athletic and long-limbed.

6. Tamara Karsavina - no explanation needed

Now I wish they HAD included:

1. Olga Spessivtseva's surviving Giselle clips

2. Some of Yuri Soloviev's dancing

3. Anna Pavlova's Dying Swan (which was in "Classic Kirov")

When I think of this, I think of the very young Sizova, as she F-L-I-E-S across the stage in Corsaire and lands gracefully, head, arms and back beautifully positioned, smilling as if she just thought of this and tried it for the very first time.   :crying:

It makes me and my friends smile every time. It also makes me want to see as much of Sizova as I can.

Lots! First the Sizova/Nureyev graduation Corsair. I had seen Nureyev's varation before but not the pas or Sizova's variation. While Nureyev's magnatism was no surprise, Sizova's virtuosity really threw me for a loop. What strength!

Too bad there was no coda though.

I loved the absolute beauty of Kolpakova in the Raymonda excerpt wth Semenov; the same for the Ulanova/Sergeyev 1940 (although even here he had sagging tights) White Swan pdd.

The Viennese Waltz with Kurgpakina and Bregvadze set to Strauss' Rosenkavalier.

I'm normally allergic to "cute" pieces but this has so much energy and brio as well as tremendous charm from Ninel Kurgpakina. Ninel's dress played a supporting role in this and the two dancers did some complicated partnering while juggling several props.

Also the Corsair pdd with Ninel; again in keeping with a recent thread she shows that there were Russians that could turn VERY well.

Lots of bits and pieces with Osipenko, mostly pieces that were new in her heyday.

I found her a fascinating dancer.

And the filmed footaged of Karsavina exercizing. I had no idea this 1920 film even existed. Amazing

For me there was very little that I looked at as "filler". Some but not too much.

I really love the the DVD and would recommend it to anyone looking to get a cross section look at the Kirov in the 50s, 60s, and 70s(although a few clips fall outside these dates.

chrisk217, do I sound enthused???? :wallbash:

Richard

There was, at least at some point, a video of Kolpakova in the full Raymonda. I know, because I saw it, but he/she/they who allowed me to see it swore me to secrecy. :shhh: This goes back to the early days of home video players.

She was magnificent throughout. :)

How is the Dudinskaya and Makarova footage?

The Dudinskaya was disappointing, IMO. It was a radically shortened/rearranged Black Swan pdd, and Dudinskaya I admit is a dancer I don't really "get." She had an enormous reputation, but I never see much soulfulness or expression from her. She seems like a prodigious technician, but this video clip is late in the game for her.

The Makarova is better. She dances to a horrifyingly souped up version of the Dying Swan. It contains a chorus (yes, I'm not kidding). Maya Plisetskaya for me is the gold standard for the Dying Swan (the Pavlova clips while intriguing IMO are too short for me to make a judgement). But Makarova's no slouch either, and what I always find interesting about Makarova's clips from her Kirov days was how little she changed when she came to the west to dance. Still a delicate, birdlike beauty, with a very soft lyrical style.-