This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thanks, John-Michael! I didn't even know this DVD existed. Made a quick trip to Amazon via the upper right hand corner of this page ( ! ) and ordered it! It's on special order so there's a chance they won't be able to get it but at least I know it's out there somewhere.

Giannina

Thanks, John-Michael!  I didn't even know this DVD existed.  Made a quick trip to Amazon via the upper right hand corner of this page ( ! ) and ordered it!  It's on special order so there's a chance they won't be able to get it but at least I know it's out there somewhere.

Giannina

It's very nice but a little lifeless, especially in Act II.

hi j-m,

here follow some of the credits from the nicely documented appendix called Repertory (I) - meaning a rundown of the rep performed by the royal ballet from the days when it was sadler's wells ballet, etc. as published in THE ROYAL BALLET: THE FIRST FIFTY YEARS by Alexander Bland, 1981.

*acts 1 & 2 were first given in 1933, credited Ivanov, staged by n.sergeyev.

*all 3 acts were given in 1940, credited petipa/cecchetti, reconstructed by sergeyev.

*a new prod. in 1954, is credited ivanov/cecchetti, in a production described as sergeyev supervised by de valois (the scenery & costumes here are the work of osbert lancaster)

is the perf. on dvd given w/ lancaster's designs? (my copy of the disc is not handy.) if it is, then we might assume this is the prod. recently revised and telecast.

except for notations made for new casts after this '54 entry there are none giving new production credits. so, this would seem to be the latest version in royal ballet history.

as to whose hand gets credit for act 3 in the current staging, i can't say. perhaps british readers here w/ some longevity could help answer your question.

*a new prod. in 1954, is credited ivanov/cecchetti, in a production described as sergeyev supervised by de valois (the scenery & costumes here are the work of osbert lancaster)

is the perf. on dvd given w/ lancaster's designs? (my copy of the disc is not handy.) if it is, then we might assume this is the prod. recently revised and telecast.

except for notations made for new casts after this '54 entry there are none giving new production credits. so, this would seem to be the latest version in royal ballet history.

Hi! Thanks for the info. Yeah, the costumes are by Lancaster. I enjoy them, for the most part.