This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Michele Wiles promoted to Principal Dancer

MICHELE WILES PROMOTED TO PRINCIPAL DANCER

Michele Wiles has been promoted to Principal Dancer with American Ballet Theatre, it was announced yesterday by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Born in Baltimore, Maryland, Wiles received her early training in Washington, D.C. At the age of ten, she received a full scholarship to the Kirov Academy of Ballet in Washington, D.C. where she studied for six years. Wiles also participated in the summer programs at The Joffrey Ballet and The Royal Ballet before joining American Ballet Theatre’s Studio Company in 1997.

Wiles joined American Ballet Theatre in 1998 and was promoted to Soloist in August 2000. Her roles with the Company include Gamzatti in La Bayadère, Odette-Odile in Swan Lake, Medora in Le Corsaire, Myrta in Giselle and the title roles in Raymonda and Sylvia. She has also danced leading roles in George Balanchine’s Ballet Imperial, Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux, Symphony in C and Theme and Variations, Twyla Tharp’s The Brahms-Haydn Variations, Martha Graham’s Diversion of Angels, Jirí Kylián’s Petite Mort and Sinfonietta and William Forsythe’s workwithinwork.

WAAAAHOOOO!!!!!

Greatly deserved, I may add. :) Lovely artist who has more than fulfilled her promise as a junior gold medalist at the Varna IBC of 1996. Could it have been nine years ago that she won that medal??? She was already a great technician then; now she is much more than that -- an exquisite artist. Congratulations, Michele.

Natalia

It will be interesting to hear from those who saw her first and second Medoras of this current run -- if the added confidence or excitement of her elevated status gives her extra juice. I was in DC on Friday, unable to see the first. Maybe some posters will be able to compare the two for us. :thanks:

Personally, I find the news very gratifying but hardly surprising.

I didn't see the announcement and didn't know of her promotion until I received the City Center brochere in the mail today. I did think she should be made a principle for some time now. I also thought that NYCB would invite her to join them.

This seems to be the first promotion in many years for ABT.