This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Edward Watson's promotion

http://www.dartford.gov.uk/latestnews/Dart...RoyalBallet.htm

"Dartford's own Edward Watson becomes principal dancer at the Royal Ballet"

Last Monday he danced the lead in Ashton’s Ondine with ballerina Miyako Yoshida. After the performance and whilst still on stage, Miyako gave him a kiss. Monica Mason, Director of the Royal Ballet, strode on stage and announced “You have just kissed the Royal Ballet’s new Principal Dancer." By all accounts, Edward was stunned by the news.

The RB web site does not seem to have been updated...

Did some posters of this forum attend the performance when he was promoted ?

And, to the RB watchers here: what do you think of his promotion ?

I was there that night (visiting London for vacation), and it was a fine performance. He certainly had strong presence and danced the few solo passages very well, but I thought his acting was particularly strong as well. I suppose Palemon isn't the most noticeable role in he male repertoire, but it was nevertheless a solid performance. Nothing special occurred at curtain, and there were no anouncements made - the promotion must have been delivered backstage after the final curtain. I didn't hear about the promotion until reading the papers the next day!

Watson did make a pretty good impression as Oberon in "The Dream" (which I also saw on my trip). I saw his debut on May 17, and it certainly did not look like a debut. It was assured and I enjoyed it very much. He was also paired that evening with Leanne Benjamin - a fantastic Titania. So the whole thing just sparkled, with huge applause at the end of the pas de deux.

I haven't personally seen more of him than this, but based on these viewings the promotion seems worthy.

Did some posters of this forum attend the performance when he was promoted ?

And, to the RB watchers here: what do you think of his promotion ?

Watson did make a pretty good impression as Oberon in "The Dream" (which I also saw on my trip). I saw his debut on May 17, and it certainly did not look like a debut. It was assured and I enjoyed it very much. He was also paired that evening with Leanne Benjamin - a fantastic Titania. So the whole thing just sparkled, with huge applause at the end of the pas de deux.

We saw him last night as Oberon with Leanne Benjamin. Both of them danced very well. Because of this thread, I took extra care to notice him! Not a hard job, I assure you. He was well worth watching.

Carol