This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pacific Northwest Choreographers

I've been asked to compile a list of choreographers who were born or raised in the Pacific Northwest, spent a significant part of their career in the Northwest or are now working the Northwest. I've got a good start, but thought I'd ask for help from fellow posters.

Mark Morris was raised in Seattle, and Robert Joffrey was from Tacoma, WA. Those are two heavy-hitters. Care to add names to the list?

Merce Cunningham, born in Centralia, educated at Cornish, is the other heavy hitter.  I'm not sure how long Christopher Stowell lived in Seattle before dancing professionally, but he is working in the PNW.

Robert Barnett was from Wenatchee. He didn't choreograph alot, but I know he did about three works for Atlanta Ballet.

I'm not sure if Pat Graney was born here, but she's definetly part of the Seattle scene.

I could rattle off probably a dozen plus locals who are doing wondeful things in Modern dance, but I don't know if you're looking for ballet/nationaly known only.

And why hasn't SandiK piped in on this yet?

Robert Barnett was from Wenatchee.  He didn't choreograph alot, but I know he did about three works for Atlanta Ballet.

And why hasn't SandiK piped in on this yet?

I was emailing Doug about something else and just answered him there, but didn't think to post here as well.

Thanks so much for mentioning Robert B -- he slipped my mind yesterday, and I'm chargrinned.

This is what I remembered off the top of my head yesterday

"Morris and Joffrey, yes, but also Gerald Arpino (left merchant marine in Seattle, met Joffrey here and they both trained with Mary Ann Wells before leaving town)

not all ballet.

Val Caniparoli

Trisha Brown

Pat Graney

Ann Reinking (choreographer now, not really main contribution, though)

Bill Whitener (same)

Syvilla Fort (more teacher than choreographer, but back then the distinctions weren't as crisp)

Bonnie Bird (same)

There are people who've come here as dancers, and become choreographers while they've been here, like Wade Madsen, or Dennis Spaight."