This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

La Sylphide

The romantic ballet "La Sylphide" (Pierre Lacotte version) will be released on dvd in may in Europe and during spring/summer 2005 in the U.S. and Canada according to the website http://www.tdk-music.com/. It was filmed last year at the Paris Opera and it is interpretated by Aurélie Dupont as the Sylphide and Mathieu Ganio as James. It is different from Bournonville version (music: Lovensjkold) as Pierre Lacotte's choreography is based on Philippe Taglioni's work and Schneitzhoeffer's music. Mime is also less important than in Bournonville's ballet. I really love that ballet and this romantic repertoire. Pierre Lacotte is a kind of archeologist who tries to bring a new life to the ballets of the romantic period. Unfortunately, I don't know Bournonville ballet which in never dance in France. Could someone talk about it more precisely?

[snip-edited by admin].

Sorry, I posted twice, but I was wrong the first time.

Edited by hockeyfan228

I just answered someone about the differences between the two productions a couple of weeks ago, but I can't remember where, Amy! You might try a search.

There isn't even a non-definitive DVD of the Bournonville. There was an excellent video disk of it with Lis Jeppesen as the Sylph, Nikolaj Hubbe (his debut!) as James, and Sorella Englund as James, but as far as I know it's never been released on either video or DVD.

First of all, music is different: Schneitzhöffer in Lacotte's version, Lovensjkoeld (is there a mistake?) in Bournonville's. In Bournonville's, I know that mime is more important than in Lacotte's. Of course, I know much better Lacotte's version as I live in Paris, but having seen a very bad recording of Bournonville's "La Sylphide" on television, I did not have the impression that the choreography was so different.

:angry2:

Thanks Carbro & Alexandra!  I'm afraid I've kind of given up on searches.  For some reason, they don't seem to work for me, even when I know a particular post exists.

The search engines that come with discussion forum software are always lacking. The most reliable way of searching is, of course, Google. :wub: Go to Google's advanced search page, put your search terms in the top boxes, and then go down to the field that says, "Domain." Put in http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com and hit enter (or click Search). That will give you results from the last few months only, since we moved to a different URL in January. Unfortunately, to get previous results, you'll have to do another Advanced Search, using the URL http://www.balletalert.com. That'll bring up tons of previous threads.

The romantic ballet "La Sylphide" (Pierre Lacotte version) will be released on dvd in may in Europe and during spring/summer 2005 in the U.S. and Canada according to the website http://www.tdk-music.com/. It was filmed last year at the Paris Opera and it is interpretated by Aurélie Dupont as the Sylphide and Mathieu Ganio as James. It is different from Bournonville version (music: Lovensjkold) as Pierre Lacotte's choreography is based on Philippe Taglioni's work and Schneitzhoeffer's music. Mime is also less important than in Bournonville's ballet. I really love that ballet and this romantic repertoire. Pierre Lacotte is a kind of archeologist who tries to bring a new life to the ballets of the romantic period. Unfortunately, I don't know Bournonville ballet which in never dance in France. Could someone talk about it more precisely?

[snip-edited by admin].

Sorry, I posted twice, but I was wrong the first time.

hi. i have the POB Dvd and it's wonderful. i watch bits of it often, have clips on my iPaq so i can watch it on the run, and have ripped the audio to listen to on my iPod.

[links to film clips deleted 27 Apr 05 by hockeyfan228 per Explanation of Video Policy]

-goro-