This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Best Jumpers

fandeballet

Now I know elevation by itself does not make a dancer complete. But coupled with

great technique, a soft landing, and artistry, elevation can truly make your heart skip a beat. I will give my list of the dancers with great jumps/elevation, I have seen live.

Nureyev.......his entrechats looked like he was jumping on a trampoline!

Fernando Bujones..I remember his first grand jete of his second variation in the Black Swan Act, it looked like he would hang up in the air for 5 seconds!!!!! And with that line!! His entrechats were also extremely high.

Herman Cornejo, does he have wings or rockets?!

Carlos Acosta, they call him "Air Acosta"!!!!!!!!

Angel Corella, anti-gravity!!!!!!

Natalia Makarova.......a wonderful and floating grand jete!

Nina Aniasvilli...a powerful grand jete!

There are a couple more , I will let you know later!!!!!!

I never saw Nijinsky, but I'll take him on faith :angry2:

I did see Nureyev and Baryshnikov, and both had incredible jumps. I've read that Nureyev was a taught, rather than natural jumper, which is even more astounding.

Two other men for me were Patrick Dupond, whom I first saw when he was 16 at a little gala in New York and he really almost disappeared into the flies. And Igor Zelensky, who danced his first Albrecht in Washington (at least we were told it was his first).

Yes, I did see Hockeyfan's post, but to me, Melinda Roy is unrivalled among women and worth mentioning twice. Emphatically. Gelsey Kirkland's jump was pretty amazing, too!

Guys: Baryshnikov, Corella, Cornejo, listed alphabetically. I think Nureyev's elevation was pretty exceptional among his generation, but perhaps but not so exceptional compared to what we see from our best these days.

Editing to add:

Andris Liepa. My indelible image of him is soaring over the Met Stage, beatific smile and all. :angry2:

Edited by carbro

For women, it seems as if the best jumpers are often the small lithe "elves." The taller ballerinas can't seem to give the illusion of elevation and suspension in air. Alina Cojocaru's jumps today truly seem to be suspended in the air. Historically, Natalia Makarova, and Maya Plisetskaya also seemed to be able to create this illusion.

American girls as a rule dont seem to have the training to do the beautiful, perfect-split grande jetes that Russian-trained ballerinas do so well.

As for men, today, Angel Corella's jumps are a thing of beauty. Marcelo Gomes too. Vladimir Vasiliev and Rudolf Nureyev from the film clips looked like incredible leapers. And I believe all that was said about Nijinsky ...

TO NYCB-goers-- how does Bouder's jumping compare to Melinda Roy's? 

I only saw Roy a few times before she retired.

-amanda

Bouder's is terrific. Roy's was prodigious. I believe it was in Valse Fantasie that she had a long series of jumps -- maybe in a circle? -- that were as big and strong in the beginning as at the end, and she was stunning in the third movement of Symphony in C.

Jerome Robbins said Roy jumped like a man, and he meant that as the greatest compliment.

If you saw her at the end of her career, it would have been after she had ACL surgery.

Bujones for sure!

Anyone remember Lupe Serrano? She had a great stretched out jump, as I recall.

Oh yes, I saw Serrano in a number of things. She was a very strong technician, not only the jumps but her turns and balances. This was the last couple of seasons before she retired, but she still was very impressive.

She was in the only dual cast Swan Lake I ever saw. Someone ( maybe Toni Lander?) cancelled a matinee. Eleanor d'Antuono and Serrano each had a performance that weekend so they each took on one of the roles.

Bruce Marks had quite a time trying to partner them, with what must have been very little rehearsal.

Richard

Unfortunately, I only saw Yuri Soloviev Maya Pleitaskya and Serrano on film. But they were superb jumpers. :yahoo:

Barishnikov was great too, and I saw him in person!!!!!!!

Now who had seemingly the easiest time getting up there. Who took the smallest amount of steps to explode off the stage?

Nureyev and Plateskya were very explosive to me. :3dnod:

TO NYCB-goers-- how does Bouder's jumping compare to Melinda Roy's?  I only saw Roy a few times before she retired.

Amanda, not only was Lindy's jump "prodigious," as Hockeyfan describes it, but she did them with miraculous musicality and no apparent preparation.

After the surgery, she dropped all the roles with unpartnered jumps -- the bulk of her rep -- and she basically had to start over from scratch. Very sad.

Kyra Nichols...

Baryshnikov had the most astounding jumps I've ever seen -- when he first came here, in Giselle, the jumps he did when he first visited Giselle's grave and realized that she was somehow 'present" came like realizations to HIM -- the performer did not telegraph the effect, and the character was overwhelmed with the realizatoinss, which literally lifted him into the air...... I've never seen any illusion be so complete. we saw NO effort, only emotion..... he ran around the stage twice, with mounting excitement, and suddenly he was in the air (and very high).....