This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fun Casting for 1st Repertory week

Yes, the dancers do read what we write here...and yes, they are public figures and we are paying to watch them, so we should feel free to express our feelings about their performances. But if a dancer, or opera singer, offends you the best thing is to simply avoid their performances. This season at the Met they are doing one of my favorite operas but I am skipping it as I think they have miscast the leading female role. There are many singers, and one dancer, whom I avoid totally. While this sometimes means I miss things that I would otherwise love to see, in the long run I think it works. I don't have to sit there thinking how rotten someone is, and why did I waste my money...

For whatever reason, Borree has cancelled the entire first week of the repertory season so it is safe for those who don't care for her dancing to go all week and know that they won't encounter her. I, on the other hand, was looking forward to seeing her in a new role in DIVERT and also in STABAT MATER, a ballet which suits her very well.

hockeyfan, as far as highlights of the first week, I would say that DIVERT #15 & 4 TEMPS (with interesting casting in both the opening and the third performances), Sylve in CORTEGE, the revival of POLYPHONIA, Bouder and Benjamin (and later de Luz) in BALLO, Rachel Rutherford in STABAT MATER and the guest appearance of Julio Bocca in TODO BUENOS AIRES - which will also feature Wendy in her "tango dress" and black toe shoes - will be pretty interesting.

As I have not been a regular NYCB goer over the years I am looking forward to my first live performance of 4Ts tonight, esp glad to see Ringer, Ansenalli & Boal in the cast. I can't believe I've managed to miss that one for so long, even with only the occasional visit. Also looking forward to Sylve in Cortege Hongrois ( I LOVE the music and remember really liking this one back in the 70's).

I am very reluctant to criticize a dancer when I haven't seen a lot of their work, but I'm afraid I have to agree with the critisisms of Borree. Last year I went to 7-8 performances of the NYCB after not having seen the company in 25 years, and found her to be consistently & noticably sub par compared to the rest of the current company. She does remind me very much of Kay Mazzo (who I loved) and I remember thinking that she'd probably be fun to watch in Duo Concertant. The best performances I've seen from her were in Serenade (Russian) and her Sugar Plum, however she was almost unwatchable in Concerto Barocco.

nysusan--Four Temperaments (even on an off night) is one of the most thrilling works in the repertory, and the cast you will be seeing sounds wonderful. I've seen Boal as Melancholic--and wish I could see him in the role again (and again). Have a wonderful time!

nysusan--Four Temperaments (even on an off night) is one of the most thrilling works in the repertory, and the cast you will be seeing sounds wonderful. I've seen Boal as Melancholic--and wish I could see him in the role again (and again).  Have a wonderful time!

Something new to sell at the concession stands:  Elixer d'amnesia. One hearty (and delectable!) gulp wipes away memory, so that you can see "The Four Temperaments" for the first time all over again!  I'm jealous :(

It was an unusual & wonderful experience to see this great work now, for the first time and without the memory of great performances effecting my perspective. Loved it. Absolutely loved it so much I think I'm going to buy a ticket for Saturday night so I can see it again.

Unfortunately when I wrote that I remembered loving Cortege Hongrais, well, I must have been thinking about Raymonda Variations. Not my cup of tea. I'll try to write a little more in the 1st week thread

Susan