This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Makarova and Nureyev

GeorgeB fan

I just finish rewatching my videotape of Swan Lake staring Makarova and Anthony Dowell. After watching it I started wondering did Makarova and Nureyev ever perform together? If they did, which ballet did they perform in? What was performance like, if anyone saw it? If they never perform together, why do you believe they didn't and what ballet would you like to have seem them in. Thanks!

They did dance together at least a few times, and I would have liked to see them very much because of the similarity of line and of schooling. There are some beautiful photos of them in Black Swan. I believe there was a partnering mishap -- something about a puddle bad fall :) -- that ended their partnership. I think this was with the Royal Ballet, so perhaps some of our Royal watchers saw them? They may have danced together at galas or with other companies, but I don't remember. Anyone?

I like the story from Otis Stuart’s Nureyev bio, “Perpetual Motion,” where he quotes a dancer present during The Fall who maintained that Nureyev did not push/drop/trip Makarova, but rather that he lost patience with Makarova’s failure to keep with the music. So when the lady took a nice long balance at a point Nureyev felt was inappropriate, he did not dash over to lend support but stayed right where he was, hence the splat.

You mean I was possibly present for an Historic Occasion? :) Unfortunately, I was only 16 at the time. While the name Nureyev was familiar to me, Makarova was not. I did not know until this moment that I witnessed a rare pairing! I cannot say I recall any Puddle Incidents at that performance -- which is not the same as saying it didn't happen.

I saw them dance Swan Lake in San Francisco in the late 1970's. Dowell was out sick - Makarova was feuding with Bujones - so ABT flew Nureyev in from some God forsaken place overnight to dance. Makarova danced the best I'd ever seen her dance at that point. She loves drama and can always rise to the occasion. :)

B

You mean I was possibly present for an Historic Occasion? :) Unfortunately, I was only 16 at the time.  While the name Nureyev was familiar to me, Makarova was not.  I did not know until this moment that I witnessed a rare pairing!  I cannot say I recall any Puddle Incidents at that performance -- which is not the same as saying it didn't happen.

They did a string of Swan Lakes and Sleeping Beauties with POB in the summer of 1973, to which Treefrog refers. One such Swan was my introduction to Makarova.

Contrary to Cole Porter's description of Paris "in the summer, when it sizzles," the weather was quite chilly, and Rudolf spent most of Act 1 seated on a rock with a blanket folded over his legs.

Markarova's lyricism was a revelation.

The evening was quite a study in contrasts. The Russians stood out from the filigree style of POB. Their famous feud was apparently well underway at the time, as their rapport was more a reflection of the weather than any magnetism between Swan and Prince.

"puddle"? I'm afraid I was up too late watching election returns for my imagination to fill out the picture... could someone explain this to me? Do you mean the lake was reduced to a puddle? Or she fell "splat" as if into a puddle? Or there was water on stage? I'm sorry if I'm being dense.

It was an outdoor performance, Amy.

Regrettably, I can't find my own journal just now, but our trip leader's journal reads "One of the most incredible experiences of my life --> Nureyev & Marakova (sic). It doesn't hurt when you need a backdrop of a palace to have the Louvre handy. I have very little experience with dance, but this was great."

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but did she ever call an early press conference, (and by 'early' I mean shortly after her defection), saying in effect that she would 'never dance with that man again' because of a spill on stage? Obviously, they made up and that was beneficial for all of us.