This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

MacMillan at the Kennedy Centre

'A one-act expressionistic take on Shakespeare's "Hamlet," it [sea of Troubles]is hardly representative of MacMillan, who is known mostly for lushly romantic full-length ballets such as "Romeo and Juliet" '

I was rather surprised to read this in Sarah Kaufman's article today (see links), as to those who've grown up with MacMillan, a 'one-act expressionistic' piece is exactly representative of his work. After all, he made over 50 ballets of which only six were full-length. Is this how he is generally perceived in the US - lushly romantic?

Perhaps that' show he is known by people who've come to the ballet after the 1980s? I think if you asked Americans to name a MacMillan ballet they'd say "Manon" or "Romeo and Juliet." If you asked: Who choreographed "The Burrow," "Song of the Earth," "Gloria," "The Invitation" or the like -- well, I don't think many people would know.

I'd be curious to get other answers to this. If you had to describe or categorize MacMillan's work, how would you do it?

I wondered about "lushly romantic" also. I don't find romanticism to the fore in either R&J or Manon – the sensuality is more naturalistic than romantic. I guess you could call them romantic in that there's not a lot of groping in the pas de deux, and to me it's not a real MacMillan duet unless the ballerina gets seriously felt up at least once.

I was struck by Kaufmann's comment, too, but I think it is more a measure of which Macmillan is done here rather than a comment by someone who knows ballet history. As for his full-lengths, well, they all seem to me to be overstuffed, overpadded works with a one-act struggling to get out. (Which is the actual case with Anastasia.) I think of sex, certainly, but he also seems to be quite taken with beds and dead women--there are beds in Manon, R & J, Anastasia, Mayerling that I can think off off the top of my head, and certainly he has lots of dead women. I would not be surprized if Hamlet strangles Ophelia somewhere in the Sea of Troubles. And to think Washington could have seen Monotones!

Sorry. I was trying to describe and not appraise. When sex is the concern, beds do tend to come in handy. And having a dead woman or two about doesn't exactly constitute foreign ballet territory. :)

For some reason, I'm reminded of the bedroom scene in "Love and Death," in which Diane Keaton, as Woody Allen's unenthusiastic new bride, rebuffs his advances with "Please – not here." Totally off topic.

Oh, no apology necessary -- I was just trying to be welcoming to other points of view :) Often when a thread starts out tilted in one direction, those who disagree stay away.

And it is really a matter of "what is it" rather than "how good is it?" I agree. I wonder what those who think of "Romeo" and "Manon" when they think of MacMillan would react to the shorter works? ABT used to do quite a lot of them -- "Danses Concertante," "The House of Bernardo Alba," "Concerto."