This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sofiane Sylve

I saw Sylve last night in Symphony in Three Movements, and the biggest compliment I can pay is that I didn't notice her. She is a one-time protegee of Patricia Neary, one of the first dancer/teachers to take the school of Balanchine to Europe, and the student has clearly absorbed all the lessons. Even in this totally ensemble piece (aside from the central "Chinese" pas de deux, the ballet is organized into three principal couples, five solo souples, and 16 women), she danced as if she'd spent her life at SAB, and several years with the parent company as well. She could join the company tomorrow and no one would object!

She was absolutely wonderful in today's "Western Symphony," the 3rd movement (matinee 19th). Ansanelli was charming as well, but when all of them were dancing together, she had the most dynamic stage presence. What a dancer. And those legs! and turns!

I agree that Sylve was wonderful in Western Symphony this afternoon (the 19th) - she looked as if she were having alot of fun, for one thing. I particularly enjoyed her little staccato runs forward on pointe and buttery turns. "Dynamic stage presence" she certainly posesses.

A few days earlier she was beautiful in Symphony in 3 Movements as well! She looked very good with the rest of the cast, at home in the movement and music