This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A Pun my Word!

This thread spins off a post on the Adult Students forum where a poster named "cou-de-pied" as "coup-de-pied", which I commented sounded like a ballet pun for battements serrés, or a really good relevé, as in "coup de théatre"! What about it? Can anybody think of some really apropos plays on words for steps or ballet-related terms? As a starter, and realize that it is rather early in the morning, I'll contribute "cou de théatre" = lobby.;)

Oh boy my brain hurt thinking about this..but theres this one..

My pointe shoes need to be serioulsy re-vamped..groan

oh and now I'm on a rôle....

I brought salt and pepper to the SFB box office as i wanted to buy a season ticket....oh that one really hurt to write it out....

I'll go now before the tomatoes start flying....

Hmmm! OK, we seem to be entering into the spirit of the thing, which should keep us happily occupied through the Christmas/New Year's letdown, when lots of us could use a joke!

For example:

grand pas = extremely senior male dancer.

saut de chat = time to go to the vet!

temps lié = your watch is slow.

quatrième derrière = the result of gene-splicing, doubtless!

Fractured French may be impolite to a beautiful and graceful language, but it is fun!;)

Balletptomaine: Disease which causes one rob florists to shower boquests on one's favorite ballerina.

Edward Gorey once made a hilarious set of illustrations (you could get them at the NYCB guild table back when) illustrating a number of dance scenarious based on "pas" something-or-there. My favorite one, as I mentioned elsewhere here recently, is "Pas devant les domestiques," which showed an upper-crust couple dancing a very unhappy looking tango in front of an audience of also-unhappy looking servants of various ilks.

"Paddy Boray" -- special Riverdance number only performed on St. Patrick's Day.

This is awful, rather like eating salted peanuts. And the horrible thing is that I realize that I have two former students who are professional cartoonists and aren't working on anything in particular right now. Gorey redux?

tour de basque = vacation in Navarre

pas de chat = You didn't tell me she had Yorkshire Terriers!

port de bras = making a gel-augmented foundation garment.