This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dancer vs. Choreographer

citibob

Good question -- we actually did a poll on this awhile back, but I can't find it. Dancers won, as I remember it.

I'm a choreography person too, although I also love watching dancers, of course, and I believe a ballet is more than the sum of its steps and that great dancing and intelligent direction can make a mediocre ballet an exciting theatrical experience.

Depends. If it's a "Swan Lake" I've seen before, I'll probably make an effort to see dancers I prefer. For the most part, it's definitely the ballet. If SFB, for example, puts on a classic I haven't seen before, I'll check it out even if they bring in the Easter Bunny as Guest Artist.

Usually, choreography/production.

Especially with some companies or dancers, One Never Knows who will actually appear.

I have occasionally had a pleasant surprise with a substitution of an entire ballet.......

Of course, some dancers I would travel far to see do just about anything (and have.)

There are also some companies who may have wonderful dancers but drek for material.

Guest Sassybeaver

I like to look at both. If the choreography is weak and the dancers are doing well then i'll apreciate that aspect. Vice Versa(like the Bolsoi and it's recent production of La Bayadere) I'm a little less forgiving. The choreography was great but he dancers were of and it wasn't that night. Other people should have been cast elsewhere but there are politics and I respect that. We, as dancers, fail if we cannot be of give our best to choroegraphers and their work. we should want it to be perfect or else why are we doing it? Even if we have to do it, just give the best of your abilities and go into character!

Adrien

I usually look first at the choreography and listen to the music.

(If I do not like the music much, then it is _hard_ for me to like the choreography.)

If it is a story ballet, then I really want it to make sense, etc.

If it is more abstract, then I want to see the patterns/ feel the emotions, whatever.

I do NOT like "waffling" or someone's personal-therapy, if not well-done.

;)

Of course, I would love to be able to see so many ballets that I could have the luxury of watching different dancers doing the same part/s on different nights.

-diane-

Originally posted by diane

I usually look first at the choreography and listen to the music.  

(If I do not like the music much, then it is _hard_ for me to like the choreography.)

If it is a story ballet, then I really want it to make sense, etc.  

If it is more abstract, then I want to see the patterns/ feel the emotions, whatever.  

I do NOT like "waffling" or someone's personal-therapy, if not well-done.  

;)  

I've always wanted to write this:

Me too!!!! Thank you, Diane -- you put it much more succinctly than I ever could, but that's exactly how I look at things :)