This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

does anyone have any advice?

Guest stardust

Guest stardust

hey, i'm amanda. At my school of study, there is a major focus on your body and what it looks like. Everyone there is obsessed w/ weight and often has a negative outlook on things (especially about their body, ie. i don't have enough turn out, or i'm too fat when they are stick thin). It is hard for me not to get wraped up in this state of mind, especially because i am not flat chested or tooth pick thin (which is what the artistic director looks for). Basically, they are treating the school like a company. I was just wondering if any one had any advice on how to keep a positive attitude amist the negativity, etc. Thanks for taking time to read this.

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: stardust ]

To Stardust and all who wonder the same thing. Enjoy dancing. I sometimes think dancing really prepares you for the real world.It is VERY important to focus on yourself and not worry about all others. I have heard my daughters ballet teacher say to focus on yourself and not worry about the others in the class and not to compare yourself. If you are doing that you are wasting your time. Yes it is hard when the body types are Stick like etc. But as a Mom as a listen to them I see this as an attention thing and just ignoring it will not fuel their desire to be heard.

Just make sure you are making wise food choices and remember all body types are different. Love yourself and love your dancing, think of all the self confidence your getting , all the poise, the time with friends, and the self discipline that will always be with you for your life. rolleyes.gif

You should commend yourself for recognizing that this attitude is not in your best interests as either a dancer or a person. You do not have to fall a victim to the negativity! True success comes from enjoying the process and not making the goal the complete focus. People who are only goal-oriented often find, upon attaining the goal that there is a sense of emptiness...Training your mind to stay in the here-and-now is a learnable skill and a skill that will serve you well in any endeavor.

As an aside: a look inside the class of any major company, and you will see a wide range of body types (even in the companies reported to like a particular 'look').

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Cabriole

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: Cabriole ]