This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ballet videos

Guest angeltoes25

Well, this is gettiing to be more of a problem than it used to be. The big video rental stores used to carry some, but now many have gone to DVD....you might call and see if anywhere in your area has any "performing arts" videos.

If you go to your library again, you might talk to a staff person there and find out if they have an interlibrary loan agreement with any other county systems in Virginia which will lend videos. In Maryland, there are several county systems which will do so, and the state library resource center might be able to help out as well.

Other than that, you can check on the link above which goes to the Amazon.com site and sometimes you can find used ones there, or on other sites as well. Your dance teacher or studio might be able to work out some sort of borrowing system if you talk to her as well.

Good luck--

Much depends on your library's resources. Since DVD is a (relatively) new thing, if your library is decently funded it should have a number of performing arts videos, including ballet, although they might not be in the greatest shape. (My own local library still has the original Great Performances videos of the Dance in America series, for example, so that I can see the intros to the dances written by Arlene Croce that the Balanchine Library chose to cut.) I still don't have a DVD player myself.

As for video stores, if you're living in a good-sized city you should have fairly easy access to a decent selection. If you're out in the suburban boonies, it's going to be much harder. Blockbuster is ruthless about its shelf space; a couple of stores in my area that began well, with a number of ballet videos available, got rid of them in short order to make room for video games and Scream VIII, etc. (And I missed the closeout sale, worse luck.) If there is an independently owned video place near you -- let me just plug mine here for the locals, it's Kohne's, in Fremont -- that still has a few titles, although they had to cut back severely because the soulless bloodsucking chains -- well, don't get me started. Hope this helps.