This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Drigos "Magic Flute" question

I recently purchased a big box set by Richard Bonynge called "Fete du Ballet" (which everyone should buy its fantastic) it has a recording of some pretty unknown ballets along with "the Magic Flute" by Drigo.....it is a ballet that Im unfamiliar with....is it still perfomed? does anyone know of its history? does anyone that is familiar with this recording know if its the complete ballet? Thanks.

Peter Martins choreographed the ballet, I think in the early 80's, for an SAB workshop. It was also danced by the company for a few performances and then disappeared. It was a charming work but perhaps not sophisticated enough to hold the stage at the State Theatre. It had the feeling, a little, of Balanchine's Harlequinade, which also has a Drigo score.

I believe Ivanov was responsible for the original production. A memoir from one of the Maryinsky dancers recalls him leaving a finale scene in this ballet where everyone was supposed to dance uncontrollably until the day of the premiere to stage! He assembled the company onstage, had the music start, and then said, "All right, everybody dance!" He then just went up and down the stage, adjusting this group and that person, steering some, and just pointing others, until they had just what he wanted, hilarious chaos!:)