This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

i'm no expert here at all.

i have been told that to play PAL dvds from the region covered by england, france, etc. one's dvd player needs to be 'adjusted' to do so AND one needs a tv that has a PAL-compatible.

but as i say, i'm no expert.

my player has been adjusted and my tv can play PAL tapes.

maybe others can chime in w/ more expert opinions and advice.

Guest learnin

Hi Solor,

Just went through this myself. I also have a Compaq Presario, running Windows ME. I had to download a DIVX Player. You get it at website www.divx.com/divx

There are three choices for players on that site. Download the one on the left. After you download it, you'll automatically get instructions on how to install it. Once done, you should be able to view your video. By the way, the software is free.

Learnin

Guest learnin

The DIVX Player I mentioned works for video on CD. If your disc is a DVD format, that's different. If you don't know anyone with a DVD player connected to their TV, stop in at a store such as Tweeter and see if it will play on a DVD. If it does, you'll need that kind of player. If not, go to a computer supply store. The smaller ones are more willing to help. I went locally to a place called Computer Renaissance. They downloaded the DIVX Player onto a CD and only charged $1 for the CD itself. The video CD/DIVX area is still the wild wild west. No de facto standards have emerged yet. Good Luck!

Learnin

Two suggestions:

Compaqs, and the Presario in particular, often have a difficult time executing downloaded shareware. The reason is that Compaq, as an original equipment manufacturer (OEM), customises the version of Windows that runs on the Compaq. You'll notice that that is why they have a restore/rescue diskette if you are ever unfortunate enough to corrupt your operating system and why, if you call Microsoft for support, they will refer you to Compaq as soon as you read them your software license number (it has "OEM" in the middle of it to alert them ...).

One solution is to contact tech support at divx.com and see if they have a version customised for the Compaq and specifically for the version of Windows you are running ...

The other suggestion is that you will need to determine what region your computer's DVD player is programmed for. Most DVD players in US computers are for Region 1 (North America), so a DVD encrypted for Region 2 (Europe) won't play ... that information will either be in the technical part of your Compaq's users' manual, or you will be able to get it with a call to Compaq Tech support ...

BB

Guest learnin

BB,

Thanks for the response. I ended up going to a computer shop. They burned a copy of DIVX for me, minus the agreement that would have had me receiving advertising spam from everyone and my next door neighbor! Works fine now.

Learnin