This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The art of discovery or how you found yourself here.

BW

Yes, BBS stands for Bulletin Board System as Janna Heino said. It's a very popular word here in China. BBS has the totally same function with forum. We have various BBS (forums) in different fields, art, science, culture and so on. I guess it's Chinese English word~ joking

SwanQueen, you found Ballet Alert! through the BA SI Survey?! That's wonderful to hear. I am so glad to know that the links that were set up worked to bring you to this board. From the number of posts you've got beneath your name, I'd have to guess that you're glad to have found your way to here, too. :)

I found my way here while doing a massive internet trawl to find adult classes when I wanted to return to class last year after a 15 year break. I lurked for ages, visiting 2 or 3 times a day, before I finally registered! I absolutely love it here, everyone is so nice and helpful, I've learned so much since I found it, 'virtually met' some fantastic people (and physically met one so far) and I still visit 2 or 3 times a day, and get withdrawal symptoms when I can't get the internet!

Alexandra and all the moderators, thank you so much - this is by far the best board around, no competition :) !

Tracey

I discovered Ballet Alert when I was surfing the web for ballet related sites. I live in a small town in the midwest so I rely on all the posters reviews of performances around the world. Especially reviews of NYCB which is my favorite. It's the next best thing to being there. So a big THANK YOU to all of you reviewers out there and THANK YOU to Ballet Talk for providing such a fabulous forum for all ballet lovers.

I used to visit a group that I found by searching with Google ("ballet" and then clicking on "groups"). Then someone there mentioned that there were lot's of misinformation :blushing: (I think it was performance dates and that sort of info they were referring to) on Ballet Alert.

Of course I had to look it up as I was interested in everything that had to do with ballet. From Ballet Alert I found Ballet Talk! It turned out to be the best site ever! :thumbsup:

Guest pointehill

Through one night of browsing, using the search word "ballet" I do believe. I guess you could say I "gracefully stumbled" across it. :rolleyes: :dry:

Guest Danielle

I think I found it on one of my random ballet searches. I can't really remember now!! Regardless of how I found it, I'm SO happy that I did!! :unsure:

A few weeks ago, I was searching specifically for ballet-related message boards. I used to post at Danceart.com the last time I was taking ballet, in 1998, and I was glad to see it's still around, but not at all glad to see they were still not using any decent board software. I like the boards there, but some things about them drive me mad.

I'm glad to have found this place. :thumbsup:

Glad you found your way here too, Adrienne. Ballet Talk's software has gone through a number of incarnations since its birth...and, though I haven't been around since the beginning, I agree this board is set up very well. It makes a huge difference if you're really interested in finding things and following threads - the advanced search function is especially helpful. :unsure:

Late as always, but would like to tell you how I got hooked on Ballet. I was in 6th grade when our music teacher scored some tickets for Swan Lake with Alonso. Seats were really bad, second balcony, second row to the right and close to the stage; sightlines were horrible (Horseshoe shaped auditorium) and had to stand and crane our necks to see something, but even then, the magic of the performance stayed in my mind, I decided that I would try another show, and the following week purchased a ticket for a Sunday matinee of Giselle, again with Alonso. That did it and tried not to miss a performance ever since. These days in my neck of the woods, my ballet viewing is minimal, but when the hunger arises, I pop one of my videos in my vcr and enjoy.

I heard of BA through friends at my dance studio. They recommended it because it is moderated unlike another message board that they had tried at first. After looking at unmoderated message boards, I really appreciate this one! :rolleyes:

And how I discovered ballet...I think I was about 3 years old, and I remember seeing some type of ballet dancing on television, probably on PBS, and I have loved it ever since. I can't remember ever not being intensely interested in ballet. I think that my family has tried to understand my devotion to ballet, but unless you feel the same way, you can't really understand....so its always been wonderful for me to have teachers and dancing friends who could understand and relate. And now, with this message board, I have even more people with whom to talk about ballet!!!! :flowers:

Guest stacymckenna

A peripherally ballet related Google search sent me to Keith/Pumukau's website of his 1996 alt.arts.ballet posts. I wrote him a thank you for the entertaining and encouraging posts, and he directed me here for more current stuff...